Adjoint of the derivative in Minkowsky space.

So when you try to turn \partial_t into an operator, you get different operators for different basis elements. The operators are not all the same, so they don't constitute a Hilbert-space operator. In summary, The adjoint is defined with respect to a notion of a scalar product. In QFT, there are multiple scalar products involved, so it is important to specify which one you are using. The adjoint of an operator A with respect to a scalar product \langle \cdot | \cdot \rangle is defined as the operator A^\dagger satisfying \langle A(\psi) | \phi \rangle = \langle \psi | A^\dagger (\phi) \rangle. In non-relativistic QM, the
carllacan
I'm sorry if it is a silly question, but I've looked elsewhere and I haven't found the answer.

Please tell me if any of the following is true:

μ = -∂μ
i = -∂i
μ = -∂μ
i = -∂i

I'm studying QFT and I don't know how to proceed when I have to take the adjoint of a derivative. Sometimes it looks like one of these has to be true, sometimes it doesn't, and I don't know what to think anymore.

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
carllacan said:
I'm sorry if it is a silly question, but I've looked elsewhere and I haven't found the answer.

Please tell me if any of the following is true:

μ = -∂μ
i = -∂i
μ = -∂μ
i = -∂i

I'm studying QFT and I don't know how to proceed when I have to take the adjoint of a derivative. Sometimes it looks like one of these has to be true, sometimes it doesn't, and I don't know what to think anymore.

Thanks for your time

The adjoint is defined with respect to a notion of a scalar product. Confusingly, there is more than one scalar product involved in QFT. One is the scalar product of two states: Given [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\phi\rangle[/itex], you can form the scalar [itex]\langle \psi|\phi \rangle[/itex]. A second notion of scalar product is the scalar product of two column matrices, which comes up in theories of particles with spin: If [itex]\psi = \left( \begin{array} \\ \psi_1 \\ \psi_2 \\ ... \\ \psi_n \end{array} \right)[/itex] and [itex]\phi = \left( \begin{array} \\ \phi_1 \\ \phi_2 \\ ... \\ \phi_n \end{array} \right)[/itex], then there is a scalar product [itex]\psi^\dagger \phi = \psi_1^* \phi_1 + \psi_2^* \phi_2 + ... + \psi_n^* \phi_n[/itex]

So before you start talking about what the adjoint is, you need to specify what scalar product you're talking about. Sorry for not directly answering, but it's important to be clear about this. If you have a notion of scalar product, [itex]\langle \psi | \phi \rangle[/itex], and [itex]A[/itex] is an operator, then [itex]A^\dagger[/itex] is defined via:

[itex]\langle A(\psi) | \phi \rangle = \langle \psi | A^\dagger (\phi) \rangle[/itex]

In non-relativistic, spinless QM, states are square-integrable functions on space. The scalar product of two states [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] is given by:

[itex]\langle \psi| \phi \rangle = \int dV \psi^* \phi[/itex] (where [itex]dV[/itex] means integrating over all spatial coordinates). For this notion of scalar product, [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}[/itex] is an operator whose adjoint is [itex]- \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}[/itex]:

[itex]\langle \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x^j}| \phi \rangle = \int dV (\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x^j})^* \phi = \int dV \psi^* (- \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x^j})[/itex]

Ok, so what about QFT?

Would the answer depend on which fields ∂μ is acting on? Now that I think about it I'm not sure how the scalar product is defined in QFT. Is it the same as in non-relativistic QM?

You should give an example. In QFT, usually the fields are regarded as operators and the coordinates as just labels. So taking the conjugate of these kinds of expressions (products of fields and derivatives of fields) does not affect the derivative. The conjugate in that case only acts on the operators, which are the fields.

E.g., are you referring to the action leading to the Dirac eqn, or something similar?

haushofer said:
You should give an example. In QFT, usually the fields are regarded as operators and the coordinates as just labels. So taking the conjugate of these kinds of expressions (products of fields and derivatives of fields) does not affect the derivative. The conjugate in that case only acts on the operators, which are the fields.

E.g., are you referring to the action leading to the Dirac eqn, or something similar?

Yes, I was working with the Dirac equation.

carllacan said:
Yes, I was working with the Dirac equation.

As I said in my first post, there are two different notions of "adjoint" involved in the Dirac equation, because there are two different notions of a scalar product. Given two Dirac spinors [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex], you can form [itex]\psi^\dagger \phi[/itex]. With this notion of scalar product, the operators are 4x4 matrices. But there is also the integrated scalar product:

[itex]\langle \psi | \phi \rangle = \int dx dy dz \bar{\psi} \phi[/itex] (where [itex]\bar{\psi} \equiv \psi^\dagger \gamma^0[/itex]).

With this notion of scalar product, [itex]\partial_x, \partial_y [/itex] and [itex]\partial_z[/itex] are Hilbert-space operators with adjoints, but [itex]\partial_t[/itex] is not.

stevendaryl said:
With this notion of scalar product, [itex]\partial_x, \partial_y [/itex] and [itex]\partial_z[/itex] are Hilbert-space operators with adjoints, but [itex]\partial_t[/itex] is not.

This is a little bit of a confusing point, and maybe somebody can explain it better than I can. The claim is that [itex]\partial_x[/itex] is a Hilbert-space operator with an adjoint, but [itex]\partial_t[/itex] is not. This seems wrong, because Schrodinger's (or Dirac's) equation has the form: [itex]i \partial_t \psi = H \psi[/itex]. So it seems as if [itex]\partial_t = -i H[/itex]. So [itex]\partial_t[/itex] should have an adjoint, since [itex]H[/itex] does. But that reasoning is not quite correct:

[itex]\partial_t \psi = -i H \psi[/itex]

This is not an operator identity for all elements of the Hilbert space. It's just a constraint on [itex]\psi[/itex] The Hilbert space basis elements are time-independent, so they don't satisfy this constraint.

What is the adjoint of the derivative in Minkowsky space?

The adjoint of the derivative in Minkowsky space is a mathematical operator that represents the transpose of the derivative in the same space. It is used to map one space to another, and is particularly useful in the study of differential equations.

Why is the adjoint of the derivative important?

The adjoint of the derivative is important because it allows for the transformation of differential equations from one space to another, making it easier to solve and analyze them. It also has applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of relativity and quantum mechanics.

How is the adjoint of the derivative calculated in Minkowsky space?

In Minkowsky space, the adjoint of the derivative is calculated by taking the transpose of the derivative operator, which essentially means swapping the rows and columns of the derivative matrix. This can be done using matrix multiplication or by using the properties of the derivative operator.

What are some real-world applications of the adjoint of the derivative in Minkowsky space?

The adjoint of the derivative has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in image processing and computer vision to enhance and analyze images.

How does the adjoint of the derivative differ from the adjoint of a linear operator?

The adjoint of the derivative is a specific case of the adjoint of a linear operator. While the adjoint of a linear operator in general is defined as the operator that maps one space to its dual space, the adjoint of the derivative specifically maps one space to its transpose space in Minkowsky space.