Finding the Adjoint of an Operator on a Hilbert Space

• Thread starter pyf
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the adjoint of an operator on a Hilbert space, defined as u(x)=<b,x>a. The given equation for the inner product is <ux,y>=<<b,x>a,y> = <b,x><a,y> = <b<a,y>,x>, which may not be correct if the convention for the inner product is linear in the second argument and antilinear in the first. The solution may involve using a different definition of adjoint for antilinear operators.
pyf

Homework Statement

Let H be a Hilbert space, with a in H and b in H.

Let u be an operator on H with u(x)=<b,x>a

Find the adjoint of u.

Thanks!

Homework Equations

<ux,y>=<x,u*y>

The Attempt at a Solution

<ux,y>=<<b,x>a,y> = <b,x><a,y> = <b<a,y>,x>

So it seems that all I need to do is flip that last inner product round. But that will introduce a complex conjugate, stopping me from getting the equation to the right form (maybe?).

Physics news on Phys.org
Is <<b,x>a,y> = <b,x><a,y> really correct?

The inner product is linear in its first argument, so I think so.

pyf said:
The inner product is linear in its first argument, so I think so.

Ok, I'm used to the convention where it's linear in the second argument and antilinear in the first. Are you sure?

I see. Well, this is the form that we've been given. Any ideas?

pyf said:
I see. Well, this is the form that we've been given. Any ideas?

Check your definitions again. I have that for a constant c, <x,cy>=c <x,y> and <cx,y>=c* <x,y>. If you take that sort of an inner product the problem works out nicely. If you take the opposite convention then u(cx)=<b,cx>a=(c*)(<b,x>a)=(c*)u(x). That means u ISN'T a linear operator. It's antilinear. The definition of 'adjoint' for antilinear operators needs to be modified. If you REALLY have a backwards convention for the inner product and a forwards convention for the definition of adjoint, then that's messed up.

1. What is the adjoint of u(x)=?

The adjoint of u(x)= is the complex conjugate of the function u(x). In other words, it is the same function with the imaginary part multiplied by -1.

2. How is the adjoint of u(x)= related to the original function?

The adjoint of u(x)= is closely related to the original function as it represents the reflection of the function about the real axis. This means that the real and imaginary parts of the adjoint function are the same as the original function, but with opposite signs for the imaginary part.

3. What is the purpose of finding the adjoint of a function?

The adjoint of a function is used in many applications, including quantum mechanics and signal processing. It allows for the calculation of inner products and orthogonality, which are important concepts in these fields.

4. How do you find the adjoint of u(x)=?

To find the adjoint of u(x)=, you first take the complex conjugate of the function, which means changing the sign of the imaginary part. Then, if the function is a polynomial, you replace all the variables with their complex conjugates as well.

5. Can the adjoint of u(x)= be used to find the inverse of the function?

No, the adjoint of u(x)= cannot be used to find the inverse of the function. The inverse of a function is a separate concept that involves swapping the inputs and outputs of the function. The adjoint does not have this property and cannot be used to find the inverse.