1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adjoint operator

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1

KFC

For an opeation as follow

[tex]\langle \varphi | \hat{A} |\psi\rangle[/tex]

where [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] is an operator.

It is no problem to have [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] directly operate on the ket state [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex], but if I want [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] operates on the bra state [tex]\langle\varphi |[/tex], do I have to take the adjoint of A first? That is

[tex]\left(\langle \varphi | \hat{A}^\dagger\right) |\psi\rangle = \langle \varphi | \left(\hat{A} |\psi\rangle\right)[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Lose the that dagger on the left-hand side. Se #7 in this thread. (In particular the stuff I quoted from another thread).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  4. Dec 12, 2008 #3

KFC

So, as you told in that thread. For

[tex]{\Large\langle\varphi | A | \psi \rangle}[/tex]

the opreator A can either operate on [tex]\psi[/tex] or [tex]\varphi[/tex] ?

5. Dec 12, 2008 #4
    Think of it this way, A acts on the thing to the right while [tex]A^{\dagger}[/tex] acts on the thing to the left. If you want to operate on the bra-state [tex]\langle \phi | [/tex] then you do need [tex]A^{\dagger}[/tex] unless A is self adjoint, in which case [tex]A = A^{\dagger}[/tex] and the operator can act either to the left or the right.

If A is some observable then it must be self-adjoint.

6. Dec 12, 2008 #5

KFC

Got it. In this sense, the following conclusion only true when [tex]A^\dagger = A[/tex], right? That is, if operator A is self-adjoint, it can either operate on the left or the right?

[tex]\left(\langle \varphi | \hat{A}^\dagger\right) |\psi\rangle = \langle \varphi | \left(\hat{A} |\psi\rangle\right)[/tex]

7. Dec 12, 2008 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is nothing new, nor special. Think about any functions at all:
    [tex]f(g(x)) = (f \circ g)(x)[/tex]
    i.e. both of these give the same result:
    1. Evaluating g at x, then evaluating f at the result
    2. Composing f and g, and evaluating the result at x

And similarly, think about matrix arithmetic. I can evaluate the product wAv in any order I choose.

8. Dec 12, 2008 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose you can say that, if you mean [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle\varphi|[/itex].

The expression [itex]\langle\varphi|A|\psi\rangle[/itex] means [itex]\langle\varphi|(A|\psi\rangle)[/itex], and by definition of the bra, that's the scalar product of [itex]|\varphi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]A|\psi\rangle[/itex]. By definition of the adjoint operator, that scalar product is equal to the scalar product of [itex]A^\dagger|\varphi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex], which in bra-ket notation takes the form [itex](\langle\varphi|A)|\psi\rangle)[/itex]. That's why you can drop the parentheses.

I don't see a way to interpret this as a correct statement.

Any operator X satisfies [itex]\langle\varphi|(X|\psi\rangle)[/itex]=[itex](\langle\varphi|X)|\psi\rangle[/itex], so yes, your equation is correct for all [itex]\langle\varphi|[/itex] and [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] if and only if A is self-adjoint, but I don't see why you would want to express that as "if operator A is self-adjoint, it can either operate on the left or the right".

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  9. Dec 13, 2008 #8

KFC

Oh, there are too many comments here. It becomes more confusing. Fredrik, could you please ask me the following questions again. I read the thread you post and now let's start from

[tex]\langle f | A | g \rangle = (|f\rangle, A|g\rangle) = (A|g\rangle, |f\rangle)^* = \langle g | A^\dagger | f \rangle ^*[/tex]

Is this right? In this case (A might not btself-adjoint), [tex]A^\dagger[/tex] should operate to the left or right?

My second question is : assuming [tex]A^\dagger[/tex] still operates to the right, considering the last term in above equation

[tex]\langle g | A^\dagger | f \rangle ^* = (|g\rangle, A^\dagger | f \rangle)^* = \left((A^\dagger | f \rangle, |g\rangle)^*\right)^* = (A^\dagger | f \rangle, |g\rangle)[/tex]

Can we interpret [tex]\langle f | A | g \rangle [/tex] in this way? Firstly, let [tex]A^\dagger[/tex] operates to the ket [tex]|f\rangle[/tex] and then take the inner product with the ket [tex]|g\rangle[/tex], right? In a word, if I want an operator operates to a bra [tex]\langle f|[/tex], I can have its corresponding adjoint operator acting on the corresponding ket [tex]|f\rangle[/tex] to get another ket, after I get the result, I convert that ket back to a corresponding bra, is that right?

I am asking this question because sometimes I got an expression like [tex]\langle f | A | g \rangle[/tex], I need to keep [tex]|g\rangle[/tex] unchanged while I've already know the eigenvalue problem [tex]A|f\rangle[/tex], that's why I am asking how to make A operate to the left.

10. Dec 13, 2008 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Suppose that [itex]A|a\rangle=a|a\rangle[/itex], then what is [itex]A^\dagger|a\rangle[/itex]? Let's find out:

[tex]A^\dagger|a\rangle=\sum_{a'}|a'\rangle\langle a'|A^\dagger|a\rangle[/tex]

[tex]\langle a'|A^\dagger|a\rangle=(|a'\rangle,A^\dagger|a\rangle)=(A|a'\rangle,|a\rangle)=(a'|a'\rangle,|a\rangle)=a'^*(|a'\rangle,|a\rangle)=a'^*\delta_{a'a}[/tex]

[tex]A^\dagger|a\rangle=\sum_{a'}|a'\rangle a'^*\delta_{a'a}=a^*|a\rangle[/tex]

You can use this to find out what you should do when the eigenstate appears in the form of a bra on the left.

[tex]\langle a|A|b\rangle=(|a\rangle,A|b\rangle)=(A^\dagger|a\rangle,|b\rangle)=(a^*|a\rangle,|b\rangle)=a(|a\rangle,|b\rangle)=a\langle a|b\rangle[/tex]

Note that there's no need to ever talk about an operator acting to the left. We don't have to define the "product" of a bra and an operator, but we do it anyway because it's convenient. We can define [itex]\langle f|A[/itex] either by

[tex](\langle f|A)|g\rangle=\langle f|(A|g\rangle)[/tex]

or (equivalently) by

[tex](\langle f|A)|g\rangle=(A^\dagger |f\rangle, |g\rangle)[/tex]

This definition allows us to interpret the previous result as

[tex]\langle a|A=\langle a|a[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  11. Dec 13, 2008 #10

KFC

Got you. Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?