Adjoint Operator: Use & Benefits

• Thread starter KFC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary: I don't know if this is the right way to do it.Yes, this is the right way to do it. The operator A^\dagger will still operate to the right, and the inner product will result in the scalar product (A^\dagger | f \rangle, |g\rangle).
KFC
For an opeation as follow

[tex]\langle \varphi | \hat{A} |\psi\rangle[/tex]

where [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] is an operator.

It is no problem to have [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] directly operate on the ket state [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex], but if I want [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] operates on the bra state [tex]\langle\varphi |[/tex], do I have to take the adjoint of A first? That is

[tex]\left(\langle \varphi | \hat{A}^\dagger\right) |\psi\rangle = \langle \varphi | \left(\hat{A} |\psi\rangle\right)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Lose the that dagger on the left-hand side. Se #7 in this thread. (In particular the stuff I quoted from another thread).

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
No. Lose the that dagger on the left-hand side. Se #7 in this thread. (In particular the stuff I quoted from another thread).

So, as you told in that thread. For

[tex]{\Large\langle\varphi | A | \psi \rangle}[/tex]

the opreator A can either operate on [tex]\psi[/tex] or [tex]\varphi[/tex] ?

Think of it this way, A acts on the thing to the right while [tex]A^{\dagger}[/tex] acts on the thing to the left. If you want to operate on the bra-state [tex]\langle \phi | [/tex] then you do need [tex]A^{\dagger}[/tex] unless A is self adjoint, in which case [tex]A = A^{\dagger}[/tex] and the operator can act either to the left or the right.

If A is some observable then it must be self-adjoint.

fractal_uk said:
Think of it this way, A acts on the thing to the right while [tex]A^{\dagger}[/tex] acts on the thing to the left. If you want to operate on the bra-state [tex]\langle \phi | [/tex] then you do need [tex]A^{\dagger}[/tex] unless A is self adjoint, in which case [tex]A = A^{\dagger}[/tex] and the operator can act either to the left or the right.

If A is some observable then it must be self-adjoint.

Got it. In this sense, the following conclusion only true when [tex]A^\dagger = A[/tex], right? That is, if operator A is self-adjoint, it can either operate on the left or the right?

[tex]\left(\langle \varphi | \hat{A}^\dagger\right) |\psi\rangle = \langle \varphi | \left(\hat{A} |\psi\rangle\right)[/tex]

This is nothing new, nor special. Think about any functions at all:
[tex]f(g(x)) = (f \circ g)(x)[/tex]
i.e. both of these give the same result:
1. Evaluating g at x, then evaluating f at the result
2. Composing f and g, and evaluating the result at x

And similarly, think about matrix arithmetic. I can evaluate the product wAv in any order I choose.

KFC said:
So, as you told in that thread. For

[tex]{\Large\langle\varphi | A | \psi \rangle}[/tex]

the opreator A can either operate on [tex]\psi[/tex] or [tex]\varphi[/tex] ?
I suppose you can say that, if you mean [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle\varphi|[/itex].

The expression [itex]\langle\varphi|A|\psi\rangle[/itex] means [itex]\langle\varphi|(A|\psi\rangle)[/itex], and by definition of the bra, that's the scalar product of [itex]|\varphi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]A|\psi\rangle[/itex]. By definition of the adjoint operator, that scalar product is equal to the scalar product of [itex]A^\dagger|\varphi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex], which in bra-ket notation takes the form [itex](\langle\varphi|A)|\psi\rangle)[/itex]. That's why you can drop the parentheses.

fractal_uk said:
Think of it this way, A acts on the thing to the right while [tex]A^{\dagger}[/tex] acts on the thing to the left.
I don't see a way to interpret this as a correct statement.

KFC said:
Got it. In this sense, the following conclusion only true when [tex]A^\dagger = A[/tex], right? That is, if operator A is self-adjoint, it can either operate on the left or the right?

Any operator X satisfies [itex]\langle\varphi|(X|\psi\rangle)[/itex]=[itex](\langle\varphi|X)|\psi\rangle[/itex], so yes, your equation is correct for all [itex]\langle\varphi|[/itex] and [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] if and only if A is self-adjoint, but I don't see why you would want to express that as "if operator A is self-adjoint, it can either operate on the left or the right".

Last edited:
Oh, there are too many comments here. It becomes more confusing. Fredrik, could you please ask me the following questions again. I read the thread you post and now let's start from

[tex]\langle f | A | g \rangle = (|f\rangle, A|g\rangle) = (A|g\rangle, |f\rangle)^* = \langle g | A^\dagger | f \rangle ^*[/tex]

Is this right? In this case (A might not btself-adjoint), [tex]A^\dagger[/tex] should operate to the left or right?

My second question is : assuming [tex]A^\dagger[/tex] still operates to the right, considering the last term in above equation

[tex]\langle g | A^\dagger | f \rangle ^* = (|g\rangle, A^\dagger | f \rangle)^* = \left((A^\dagger | f \rangle, |g\rangle)^*\right)^* = (A^\dagger | f \rangle, |g\rangle)[/tex]

Can we interpret [tex]\langle f | A | g \rangle [/tex] in this way? Firstly, let [tex]A^\dagger[/tex] operates to the ket [tex]|f\rangle[/tex] and then take the inner product with the ket [tex]|g\rangle[/tex], right? In a word, if I want an operator operates to a bra [tex]\langle f|[/tex], I can have its corresponding adjoint operator acting on the corresponding ket [tex]|f\rangle[/tex] to get another ket, after I get the result, I convert that ket back to a corresponding bra, is that right?

I am asking this question because sometimes I got an expression like [tex]\langle f | A | g \rangle[/tex], I need to keep [tex]|g\rangle[/tex] unchanged while I've already know the eigenvalue problem [tex]A|f\rangle[/tex], that's why I am asking how to make A operate to the left.

Suppose that [itex]A|a\rangle=a|a\rangle[/itex], then what is [itex]A^\dagger|a\rangle[/itex]? Let's find out:

[tex]A^\dagger|a\rangle=\sum_{a'}|a'\rangle\langle a'|A^\dagger|a\rangle[/tex]

[tex]\langle a'|A^\dagger|a\rangle=(|a'\rangle,A^\dagger|a\rangle)=(A|a'\rangle,|a\rangle)=(a'|a'\rangle,|a\rangle)=a'^*(|a'\rangle,|a\rangle)=a'^*\delta_{a'a}[/tex]

[tex]A^\dagger|a\rangle=\sum_{a'}|a'\rangle a'^*\delta_{a'a}=a^*|a\rangle[/tex]

You can use this to find out what you should do when the eigenstate appears in the form of a bra on the left.

[tex]\langle a|A|b\rangle=(|a\rangle,A|b\rangle)=(A^\dagger|a\rangle,|b\rangle)=(a^*|a\rangle,|b\rangle)=a(|a\rangle,|b\rangle)=a\langle a|b\rangle[/tex]

Note that there's no need to ever talk about an operator acting to the left. We don't have to define the "product" of a bra and an operator, but we do it anyway because it's convenient. We can define [itex]\langle f|A[/itex] either by

[tex](\langle f|A)|g\rangle=\langle f|(A|g\rangle)[/tex]

or (equivalently) by

[tex](\langle f|A)|g\rangle=(A^\dagger |f\rangle, |g\rangle)[/tex]

This definition allows us to interpret the previous result as

[tex]\langle a|A=\langle a|a[/tex]

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
Suppose that [itex]A|a\rangle=a|a\rangle[/itex], then what is [itex]A^\dagger|a\rangle[/itex]? Let's find out:

[tex]A^\dagger|a\rangle=\sum_{a'}|a'\rangle\langle a'|A^\dagger|a\rangle[/tex]

[tex]\langle a'|A^\dagger|a\rangle=(|a'\rangle,A^\dagger|a\rangle)=(A|a'\rangle,|a\rangle)=(a'|a'\rangle,|a\rangle)=a'^*(|a'\rangle,|a\rangle)=a'^*\delta_{a'a}[/tex]

[tex]A^\dagger|a\rangle=\sum_{a'}|a'\rangle a'^*\delta_{a'a}=a^*|a\rangle[/tex]

You can use this to find out what you should do when the eigenstate appears in the form of a bra on the left.

[tex]\langle a|A|b\rangle=(|a\rangle,A|b\rangle)=(A\dagger|a\rangle,|b\rangle)=(a^*|a\rangle,|b\rangle)=a(|a\rangle,|b\rangle)=a\langle a|b\rangle[/tex]

Note that there's no need to ever talk about an operator acting to the left. We don't have to define the "product" of a bra and an operator, but we do it anyway because it's convenient. We can define [itex]\langle f|A[/itex] either by

[tex](\langle f|A)|g\rangle=\langle f|(A|g\rangle)[/tex]

or (equivalently) by

[tex](\langle f|A)|g\rangle=(A^\dagger f, |g\rangle)[/tex]

This definition allows us to interpret the previous result as

[tex]\langle a|A=\langle a|a[/tex]

Got you. Thank you so much!

1. What is an adjoint operator?

The adjoint operator is a mathematical concept used in linear algebra and functional analysis. It is the generalization of the transpose of a matrix to linear operators. It is defined as an operator that maps a vector space to its dual space, and it satisfies a specific relationship with the inner product of the vector space.

2. How is an adjoint operator used in mathematics?

An adjoint operator is used in mathematics to find the solutions to linear equations and systems of equations. It is also used to study the properties of linear operators, such as invertibility and eigenvalues. In functional analysis, the adjoint operator is used to define self-adjoint and normal operators, which have important applications in quantum mechanics and signal processing.

3. What are the benefits of using an adjoint operator?

The use of adjoint operators has several benefits in mathematics. It allows for the efficient calculation of solutions to linear equations and systems of equations. It also helps in the study of linear operators and their properties, leading to a better understanding of mathematical concepts such as eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Additionally, the adjoint operator has important applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

4. Can you give an example of how an adjoint operator is used?

An example of using an adjoint operator is in solving a system of linear equations. Given a system of equations in the form of Ax = b, where A is a linear operator and b is a vector, the adjoint operator A* can be used to find the solution x. The solution can be obtained by solving the equation A*A*x = A*b, which is often easier to solve than the original system of equations.

5. How does the adjoint operator relate to the transpose of a matrix?

The adjoint operator is a generalization of the transpose of a matrix. For a finite-dimensional vector space, the transpose of a matrix can be represented as the adjoint operator with respect to the standard inner product. However, for infinite-dimensional vector spaces, the adjoint operator is a more general concept that encompasses the transpose of a matrix and has many other applications in mathematics.