Adjustable AND-logic unit?

• Thread starter dak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the task is to design a unit with five inputs and one output that can be adjusted to have a logic high output signal depending on the number of coincidences desired. Using a summing amplifier and comparator with adjustable reference voltage is a workable method to achieve this. Another idea of using diode logic may be simpler, but would require a large number of components to handle all possible combinations.
dak
Hello all,

I'm designing logic unit, but unfortunately I realize I have a lack of skills straight away at the beginning.

The task is to design a unit which have five inputs and one output (all standard TTL). The Unit should be adjustable, so user can choose number of coincidences needed to have a logic high output signal, from one (works like or gate) to all five inputs are at a logic high.

In a nutshell, how am I planned to make this happen: At first to use basic summing amplifier to sum input signals. In theory there is no upper limit to the number of input signals, but should I notice something to make it work very well becouse I have as many as five input signals? By using proper values of R_f/R_in I can make sure not to exceed output voltage range.

Then by using comparator with an adjustable (five steps, using some rotary switch) reference voltage choose a desired amount of coincedences. Supply voltages up to +-24V are on hand.

Is this at all a workable method?

I got other idea from much more experienced designer to use a diode logic. The diode logic would be really easy if only as many inputs as needed to logic high are used. But now pulse could come from any input. How can I avoid a huge number of components when I have to take care of all possible combinations?

So, is there any sense to do it this way? How would you do it? All tips and hints are very welcome.

Thanks!

ps. sorry about the long parttling but I wanted to show you that I have at least little bit thought this problem before asking your advise :)

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>A:I think your idea of using a summing amplifier and a comparator is the best approach. You can use an op-amp as the summing amplifier and then send the signal to a comparator with adjustable reference voltage. This will allow you to choose the number of coincidences needed for the output to be high.simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLabC1, C2, C3, C4 and C5 represent your five inputs and the output is OUT. R1, R2, R3 and R4 are adjustable resistors used to set the reference voltage of the comparator.

I would suggest exploring other options for designing an adjustable AND-logic unit. While your proposed method may work, there may be more efficient and effective ways to achieve the desired functionality. Some suggestions could include using a microcontroller or programmable logic device to handle the logic, or using a multiplexer to select the desired number of inputs. It may also be helpful to consult with other experienced designers or research existing adjustable AND-logic units for inspiration. Overall, it is important to carefully consider all aspects of the design and ensure that it meets the desired specifications and performance requirements. Good luck with your project!

1. What is an adjustable AND-logic unit?

An adjustable AND-logic unit is a type of digital logic circuit that performs the logical AND operation on multiple input signals and produces a single output signal. It allows for the adjustment of the input signals and their corresponding weights, providing flexibility in the logical operation.

2. How does an adjustable AND-logic unit work?

An adjustable AND-logic unit works by receiving input signals and their corresponding weights, typically in the form of binary values. These inputs are multiplied by their respective weights, and the resulting values are then summed. If the sum is equal to or greater than a certain threshold, the output of the AND-logic unit will be 1, indicating a logical AND operation has occurred.

3. What are the advantages of using an adjustable AND-logic unit?

One advantage of using an adjustable AND-logic unit is its flexibility in adjusting the input signals and weights, allowing for different logical operations to be performed. It also allows for the implementation of complex logic functions using a combination of AND-logic units. Additionally, it is a relatively simple and low-cost circuit to implement.

4. What are some common applications of adjustable AND-logic units?

Adjustable AND-logic units are commonly used in digital logic circuits, such as in microprocessors and other electronic devices. They are also used in applications that require complex logic operations, such as in robotics and artificial intelligence systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using an adjustable AND-logic unit?

One limitation of using an adjustable AND-logic unit is that it can only perform the logical AND operation, so it may not be suitable for all logic functions. Additionally, the accuracy of the output may be affected by the precision of the input signals and weights, which may introduce errors in the logical operation.