Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adjusting research focus

  1. May 24, 2010 #1
    I unofficially have a PhD place at a great university to study an area of research in Physics that is not *quite* in the area that really interests me.

    How easily do people "move around" with their research after their PhD? I am interested in Dark Matter, and my PhD would be working on Gamma Ray Astronomy - so still in the region of astroparticle physics. Should I stick with the great university and supervisor in the hope of moving later in my career, or should I get a place at maybe a lesser university, but in the exact area of interest?

    Thank you for any replies,

  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

    Andy Resnick

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    Receipt of a PhD simply means that you have completed a project. It is not a life sentence. I've (voluntarily) "moved around" plenty, and I know there's others at PF who have as well.

    The benefits of working with a great advisor outweighs nearly everything else.
  4. May 24, 2010 #3
    While I have not "moved around" in my research (much), I agree with Andy that a great advisor is truly priceless.

    Put it this way, your advisor is one of your strongest professional connections. His or her colleagues are likely to be the ones who give you your first postdoc/job. His or her reputation will get your CV a second glance. Even in physics, getting your foot in the door is often times much more about who you know. After that it is up to you, but the initial chance is important.
  5. May 24, 2010 #4
    That's great. Thanks for the advice guys.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook