Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Administrative Privileges

1. Feb 20, 2010 #1
    I have a machine with XP, and would like to install packages under my user account, but for this need administrative privileges. I have tried a couple of suggested ways of getting this, but each time I run into a problem.
    First I tried:
    Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management. then:
    System Tools>Local Users and Groups>Users
    the problem is, that under "System Tools" I don't have "Local Users and Groups".

Second, in the Administrator account I tried:
    (Right Click) My Computer
    (Click Manage)
    (expand) Local Users and Groups
    the problem here is that I again can't get "Local Users and Groups". Does anyone have an answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2
    It's an option under Control Panel >> User Accounts
  4. Feb 25, 2010 #3
    The administrator user account might be possibility disabled.

You can enable it under groups and users section of system administration.

I'm not running windows so I cant tell you the exact path.
  5. Mar 6, 2010 #4
    Thanks, it worked! This is what we all love about Microsoft. The instructions they give don't always match the actual system - - they keep changing - - apparently to make it exciting.

I'm sorry it took me this long to get back. I sometimes disappear from the scene.
  6. Mar 16, 2010 #5
    Just to add, I think "local users and groups" is in XP pro, not the home edition, so you have to use Gregs option.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook