1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Administrative question

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    I am brand new here. This looks like a very good site.

In the spirit of playing within the rules, and the interest of clarity, rigorousness, and hopefully to simplify usefullness of future posts, is there a way to create posts in LyX/LaTeX format (q.v. attached pdf file)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, latex is enabled on the forums. You can either format it manually yourself using [noparse] [tex][/tex] [/noparse] tags, or you can use the editor, which is available by pressing the sigma icon in the reply window.

4. Jun 30, 2008 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I've never seen anybody produce a whole post (including text) in LaTeX, but I suppose it could be done by wrapping it in [ tex] [ /tex ] tags (after removing the spaces from inside the tags). However, I don't know if the text would be accessible to the forum search function, or Google.

5. Jun 30, 2008 #4
    Yeah that would be terrible waste of resources and we'd frown upon doing it.

6. Jun 30, 2008 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex] is comparable to \[. If you want to embed equations in a paragraph, use [itex], which is comparable to $.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?