Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Administrative question

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    I am brand new here. This looks like a very good site.

In the spirit of playing within the rules, and the interest of clarity, rigorousness, and hopefully to simplify usefullness of future posts, is there a way to create posts in LyX/LaTeX format (q.v. attached pdf file)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, latex is enabled on the forums. You can either format it manually yourself using [noparse] [tex][/tex] [/noparse] tags, or you can use the editor, which is available by pressing the sigma icon in the reply window.
  4. Jun 30, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

I've never seen anybody produce a whole post (including text) in LaTeX, but I suppose it could be done by wrapping it in [ tex] [ /tex ] tags (after removing the spaces from inside the tags). However, I don't know if the text would be accessible to the forum search function, or Google.
  5. Jun 30, 2008 #4
    Yeah that would be terrible waste of resources and we'd frown upon doing it.
  6. Jun 30, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex] is comparable to \[. If you want to embed equations in a paragraph, use [itex], which is comparable to $.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?