Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    This is REALLY friggen annoying... but all the time there are advertisements on PF which get displayed in the body of the first post in a thread and cover up half of the text in that thread...

I guess mods and money payers don't see these ads, so maybe no one has brought this up yet, but it's HORRIBLE. There's probably an ad blocking this thread right now. Can something be done about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2
    This only happens when there is a quote.

4. Oct 6, 2011 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I just tried it as a guest, and the ad was off to the right in the first post, and everything in the post was moved down out of the way of the ad (including the starting quote). I didn't see the problem.

(IE7 on Vista PC)

5. Oct 6, 2011 #4
    If the first post contains a quote as the first block of txt then the quote will be partially blocked.

6. Oct 6, 2011 #5

berkeman

In this test thread that I made and then viewed as a regular user:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=537444

it did not seem to block the initial text block. Does it block it with all browsers?

7. Oct 6, 2011 #6
    Here's a request (if its possible):-

Can you just stop the smiley ad? It's really annoying. Hovering the mouse over it produces sound and that's annoying. :grumpy:

8. Oct 6, 2011 #7
    Here is a free way you can make it stop
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338366

9. Oct 6, 2011 #8
  10. Oct 6, 2011 #9

Evo

Pranav, can you post a flyer at a university? You get a free gold membership.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook