Is It Too Late to Start a Career in Astronautics at 27?

In summary, the author is 27 years old and is in the process of completing undergraduate pre-req classes to pursue a degree in astronautics and computer science. They are uncertain about their future after completing their education, as they may not be able to find work in the private sector after completing their degree. They are looking for input from professionals in the field to help them make a decision about their future.
GliderLogic
I'm not sure what guidance may be offered but I wanted to get some advice from professionals in the field of astronautics. I moved after high school and am finally in a position to follow my goals in education. I'm 27 years old with a semester of undergrad completed. I have always had an affinity for mathematics and physics and did well in high school in both. It has been about 10 years since graduating high school and I'm now attending a local community college to complete my undergraduate pre-req classes. After years of deliberation and personal study I know that I want to go in the direction of astronautics reinforced with computer science. My plan is to finish my first two years of classes at the community college, transfer to a local state college to complete my bachelors, and then move on to an undecided graduate school.

I think that hanging around this forum and seeing all of the young inquisitive minds talking about schools like MIT and Berkley, instills a certain amount of uncertainty that, at my age, my goals are reasonable being that I'm just getting started with my higher education and that I work a full time job and attend school in the evenings, filling my free time with personal study. I have no doubt that I am more than capable of learning that which I seek to learn. My uncertainty is in whether or not I will be able to find work after completing my education if I go to a school such as Colorado School of Mines (as I live in Denver) or something less prestigious. It excites me to see that the private sector is becoming involved in space flight. I see that as a sign that my interests will lead me to a field that is growing as more companies seek engineers and developers that understand space flight.

I guess why I'm writing is that I would like to hear from some of the professionals in the industry and to get their take on my situation. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
GliderLogic said:
I'm not sure what guidance may be offered but I wanted to get some advice from professionals in the field of astronautics.

Personally, I'm not optimistic. Astronautics is something that needs sustained government funding, and right now in the US, that's something that doesn't fit with the political mood.

But one thing that I've learned is not to be too specific with your goals. If you want to do astronautics then you will be at the whim of the political mood and events out of your control. If your goal is "something better than what I have" then things are easier.

My uncertainty is in whether or not I will be able to find work after completing my education if I go to a school such as Colorado School of Mines (as I live in Denver) or something less prestigious. It excites me to see that the private sector is becoming involved in space flight.

Two things:

1) What happens next is mostly out of your direct control.

2) Even private sector development of space requires massive government funding. Space exploration has always been a public/private partnership, and what is different now is not so much that private companies are involved, but they are taking over more design and control responsibilities in the hopes that things will be better, faster, cheaper. But in the end, you still need the Federal government footing the bills.

Being in Colorado and interested in Aerospace engineering, why not look into Boulder for school? CSM doesn't even have an "Aerospace" program. The only problem would be getting into the Boulder program because it's very competitive.

Thank you for your insight.

I mentioned CSM only as a for instance. I have been in contact with them about their programs and am aware of what they offer as far as Aerospace and Aeronautics. My understanding of their programs is a primary focus on ME with prep for AE graduate work.

I have considered CU Boulder as well and have started talking to an academic adviser. Being about a 45 minutes drive it is a viable option.

Two-fish, I appreciate your perspective. I suppose I did not realize that much of the funding would still fall into a federal budget. You mention that you try not to be too specific with your goals. I am interested to hear how you feel that would apply to my situation or what course you would feel confident in pursuing.

Thanks again.

As a scientist in the field of astronautics, I can offer some guidance and advice for your study and career path. First of all, it's great that you have a clear goal in mind and are taking the necessary steps to achieve it. Pursuing a degree in astronautics, reinforced with computer science, is a great combination as these fields are highly relevant and in demand in the aerospace industry.

At 27 years old, it's understandable that you may feel uncertain about your goals and prospects compared to younger students. However, age should not be a barrier to pursuing your dreams, especially in the field of science and engineering. In fact, your life experience and maturity can be valuable assets in your academic and professional journey.

It's important to note that the prestige of a school does not determine your success in the industry. What matters is the quality of education and training you receive, as well as your dedication and passion for the field. Schools like the Colorado School of Mines have excellent programs in astronautics and are highly respected in the industry. Additionally, the private sector's involvement in space flight offers a growing job market for engineers and developers, which is a positive sign for your future career prospects.

My advice would be to focus on your education and gaining practical experience through internships or research opportunities. This will not only enhance your knowledge and skills, but also make you more competitive in the job market. Network with professionals in the industry, attend conferences and workshops, and stay updated on the latest developments in astronautics.

Overall, with determination and hard work, I have no doubt that you will be successful in your chosen career path. Don't let age or the perceived prestige of a school hold you back. Follow your passion and continue to seek guidance and advice from professionals in the field. Best of luck to you in your journey towards becoming a scientist in the field of astronautics.

1. What is the importance of continuing education as an adult?

Continuing education as an adult is important because it allows individuals to stay current and relevant in their field and acquire new skills and knowledge. It also opens up opportunities for career advancement and higher salary potential. Lifelong learning is essential in today's rapidly changing job market.

2. How can I balance work and studying as an adult?

Balancing work and studying as an adult can be challenging, but it is possible. It requires good time management and prioritization skills. You may need to make sacrifices and adjust your schedule, but also remember to take breaks and make time for self-care.

3. What are some options for adult study and career path?

There are various options for adult study and career path, including traditional degree programs, online courses, workshops, professional certifications, and on-the-job training. It's important to consider your goals, interests, and schedule when choosing the best option for you.

4. Can I change my career path as an adult?

Yes, it is possible to change your career path as an adult. It may require additional education or training, but with determination and a solid plan, you can make a career change at any age. Many adults successfully switch careers and find fulfillment in a new field.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying as an adult?

Staying motivated while studying as an adult can be challenging, especially when juggling work and other responsibilities. It's important to set realistic goals, break tasks into smaller, manageable chunks, and celebrate your progress. Surrounding yourself with a supportive network and reminding yourself of your ultimate goal can also help keep you motivated.