1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Adv. Functions question please help

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    The tide in a local costal community can be modelled using a sine function. Starting at noon, the tide is at its "average" height of 3 metres measured on a pole located off of the shore. 5 hours later is high tide with the tide at a height of 5 metres measured at the same pole. 15 hours after noon is low tide with the tide at a height of 1 metre measured at the same pole. Use this information to model the tide motion using a sine function. Show all work.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What have you tried so far? Do you know what a general sinusoidal function is going to look like in equation form?

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3
    i know the period is 12 hours which will be pi/6 in the equation
    im pretty sure the amplitude is 2
    so i know its going to be something like y=2sin(pi/6x)
    but thn i dont know the vertical shift or horizontal shift

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4
    the phase shift is what im really having trouble with

6. Sep 1, 2010 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It says the average height of the tide is 3 meters. [tex]2 \sin(\frac{\pi}{6}x)[/tex] has an average height of 0 (it oscillates between -2 and 2). How much do you have to shift it up to get an average height of 3?

For the phase shift, what time is x=0 going to correspond to?

7. Sep 1, 2010 #6
    would you shift it up 3?

8. Sep 1, 2010 #7
    is the answer y=2sin(pi/6x) +3?

9. Sep 1, 2010 #8
    yesss.. nooo?? haha

10. Sep 1, 2010 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That could be right. The problem doesn't specify what time x=0 is at. So you get to pick. What time does x=0 represent?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook