1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advance Integration By Parts

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate the following by parts twice

and show that it can be written as [itex]-\lambda^2\bar{T}[/itex] , where

and the function [itex]\psi[/itex] satisfies the following equation

Relevant equations and attempt

Of course the integration by parts equation, but I used the tabular method to get the first integration of:

But as you can see in the next step it gets more complicated because the v choice now needs integration by parts as well and since the T(r) portion will end up being an integral without a definite solution, I don't know where to take it from there. I tried to get things to cancel but haven't found a way yet. Am I going about this the wrong way?

On the second integration by parts I tried to group [itex]\psi\prime(r)r[/itex] together under u and it cleaned up v, but u became a mess without a way to cancel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a little rusty on this stuff and this was provided as a refresher problem to me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2
    I've given it my best shot and have tried just about every way possible. There must be some trick or technique that I haven't learned yet to deal with this. If anyone has any thoughts about how I might tackle it, it would be much appreciated.

4. Sep 2, 2010 #3
    I got thoughts but it's not exactly as you put it. For starters, I assume you mean the following problem:

Let [itex]\psi(r)[/itex] satisfy the following DE:

then show:

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{dT(r)}{dr})\psi(r) dr=-\lambda^2\int_a^b r\psi T dr[/tex]

But that's not what I get. You did parts once, how about do it again to obtain:

[tex]r\psi \frac{dT}{dr}-rT\psi'+\int T(r\psi''+\psi')[/tex]

now, using the differential equation, this looks to me to be:

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{dT(r)}{dr})\psi(r) dr=\left(r\psi T'-rT\psi'\right)_a^b-\lambda^2\int_a^b r\psi T[/tex]

and this is consistent with numerical calculations letting [itex]\psi(r)=\text{BesselJ}(0,\lambda r)[/itex] and [itex]T(r)=r^2+2r[/itex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook