Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced algebra

1. May 28, 2004 #1

I am a high school student looking to study further into advanced algebra over the summer. What books / outlines / study-guides do you recommend? I would like to bolster my algebraic skills for future success in higher mathematics.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2004 #2
    college algebra 4th edition by James Stewart
  4. May 28, 2004 #3
    There's one with a title like "intro to modern algebra" by gilbert & gilbert that my school uses for the 1st course on algebra. They don't even do Lagrange's theorem or homomorphisms in the course so it can't be very advanced. It would probably be ok for a high school student.
  5. Jun 4, 2004 #4
    stop by waldenbooks, they have a bunch of books that will help. last time i went there they had everything from elementary mathematics to calculus and differential equations.
  6. Jun 7, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Noteing the very disparate responses by fourier jr and killer instinct, you need to be more precise as to what you mean by "advanced algebra"!
  7. Jun 7, 2004 #6
    A high school student asked, so I guess I just assumed that he wouldn't be working on stuff like the Hilbert Basis Theorem, free groups or Jacobson Radical, etc etc. I'd be surprised if he even knows what a group is.
  8. Jun 7, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could check out Hall & Knight, "Higher Algebra" - it's not advanced, but neither is it elementary.
  9. Jun 8, 2004 #8
    Sorry, i didn't specify. I was just looking to bolster my algebra skills for ap calc next year...just stuff like sequences, series, probability, log functions and permuations and combinations. Found a decent book at the library, went through it, and i am fine. Thanks for your help, though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?