Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced and retarded Green's function

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    anybody can recommend a good introducotry book on "advanced and retarded Green's function" and its application to QM, particularly transport problems. Thanks. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the system you are calculating the transport properties of??

4. Apr 10, 2005 #3
    in semiconductor devices.

5. Apr 10, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did u follow a rigurous solid state course?

Daniel.

6. Apr 10, 2005 #5
    i guess so.. but many body problems in SS bandstructure calculations not touched on.

7. Apr 10, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think Zapper could give u more assistance.It's his area of expertise.

Daniel.

8. Apr 10, 2005 #7
    thanks for the tip. Will send him a PM to drop by my thread too. :tongue:

9. Apr 10, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He will.Trust me.:wink:

Daniel.

10. Apr 11, 2005 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Gosh, I'm just way too predictable.

I strongly recommend G.D. Mahan's text "Many-Particle Physics". Here, the transport problem is dealt with in two (if not more, but I can't remember) different ways: the semi-classical treatment using Boltzmann transport equation, and the Kubo formulation that is quantum mechanical in nature. This is where the Green's function formulation comes into play, both directly and indirectly.

Zz.

11. Apr 11, 2005 #10

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Greens functions are not used in solving the Boltzmann equation, at least I have never seen that formalism used if it has. As for solving transport problems in devices, the Lattice Boltzmann equation is used. I have not looked at using the Kubo formulation so I cannot say.

If you are tring to do this analytically, it won't happen unless you use the relaxation time approximation and even then it will be tricky.

Mahan is a good place to start, Fetter and Walecka another. Many body formulations are very difficult to work with and take time to get used to. If your quantum theory is weak, it will be difficult but you can get thru it.

12. Apr 11, 2005 #11
    Thank you people. Will get my hands on these 2 books first. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?