Prove: Advanced Calc Proof: ((a(n))+(a(n+1)))/2 Converges to A

In summary, the conjecture stated that every term of a sequence is a finite real number, while the conjecture stated that every real sequence is bounded.
bloynoys

Homework Statement

If ((a(n))+(a(n+1)))/2 converges to A, then a(n) converges to A. Either prove or disprove this conjecture.

Homework Equations

Normal convergence proof

The Attempt at a Solution

I will prove that ((a(n))+(a(n+1)))/2 converges to A such that for every (epsilon)>0 there exists a positive integer N such that for every n>N abs(a(n)-A)<(epsilon).

Consider (epsilon)> 0 arbitrary.
Because a(n) and a(n+1) will converge to the same number...

That second part is what I am stuck at. I am really good at proving things converge this way with sequences defined but struggle in the abstracts. I struggle with the second and fourth lines of the proof, as the third is just consider n>N arbitrary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the sequence 1, -1, 1, -1, ...that is a(n)=1 if n is odd, a(n)=-1 if n is even. What is the limit of (a(n)+a(n+1))/2?ehild

Wow, yeah. And I just used that to disprove the question before that. Thank you!

Another related question on proofs:

One is false and one is true (Prove the true, disprove the false)

Conjecture A: If a(n) is a sequence of real numbers then for every positive integer n there exists an M such that abs(a(n)) <= M.

Conjecture B: If a(n) is a sequence of real numbers there exists an M such that every positive integer n abs(a(n)) <= M.

I have been staring at it and I should know it but am struggling to figure it out.

bloynoys said:
Conjecture A: If a(n) is a sequence of real numbers then for every positive integer n there exists an M such that abs(a(n)) <= M.

Conjecture B: If a(n) is a sequence of real numbers there exists an M such that every positive integer n abs(a(n)) <= M.
I think you miss something from sentence B. abs(a(n)) <= M has to be true for every positive integer n.

Think what do the sentences mean? Imagine a simple sequence, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3,... for example. Is A true? Choose an n, for example n=1000. Can you find an M so as |an|<=M?

Can you find an M so as |a(n)|<=M for every n?

ehild

Thank you! That is what so frustrating about an entirely proof based class at this level. There is so many ways to look at these things and you understand it in class but when you get home to do questions that are slightly different you just sit there, as I know the stuff, but helps to have someone saying consider this... and then connecting the dots.

sometimes it helps to know what is really being said.

conjecture A states that every term of a real sequence is a finite real number.

conjecture B states that every real sequence is bounded.

put this way, it should be clear which one is true, and which one is false.

(and, on a more basic level, why the order of "for all" and "there exists" can't simply be reversed).

What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule.

What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence in which the terms get closer and closer to a single value, known as the limit, as the index approaches infinity.

What is the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the index approaches infinity.

How do you prove the convergence of a sequence?

To prove the convergence of a sequence, you can use various methods such as the squeeze theorem, the monotone convergence theorem, or the Cauchy criterion. These methods involve showing that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to the limit as the index approaches infinity.

Can you explain the proof for ((a(n))+(a(n+1)))/2 converges to A?

The proof for ((a(n))+(a(n+1)))/2 converges to A involves showing that the sequence formed by taking the average of consecutive terms converges to the limit A. This can be done by using the algebraic properties of limits and the convergence of the original sequence.