Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Advanced Calculus Sequences

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the given limit exists and find their values. Give clear explanations using limit properties.

2. Relevant equations

lim n--->∞ (n^2)/n!

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the limit is 0, but I don't know how to show it in detailed steps. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you can immediately cancel an [itex]n[/itex] from the numerator and the denominator. Then try pairing the remaining [itex]n[/itex] in the numerator with one of the factors in the denominator, and see what you can conclude.

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are a lot of ways. Try one. Then someone can help. You have to TRY something. What are some ways you can show a sequence converges?

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4
    I have already canceled the factor of n, and I am stuck at the next step. I have n/(n-1)(n-2)!

Any suggestions what to do next? How do I proof that =0?

6. Sep 19, 2012 #5
    This might be overkill for this problem, but try the squeeze theorem for a rigorous proof.

7. Sep 20, 2012 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, so you have this:

[tex]\left(\frac{n}{n-1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{(n-2)!}\right)[/tex]

Can you compute the limits of the two factors in parentheses?

8. Sep 20, 2012 #7
    The limit of the first is 1, and the limit of the next is 0? Correct? Then can I simply multiply 1(0)=0. Will that be enough explanation?

9. Sep 20, 2012 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, as long as you have the theorem that the limit of a product is the product of the limits. If not, you will either have to prove that, or find your limit a different way.

10. Sep 20, 2012 #9
    Yes, I am able to use the product theorem. Thanks for the help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook