• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Advanced Calculus Sequences

Homework Statement

Determine whether the given limit exists and find their values. Give clear explanations using limit properties.

Homework Equations

lim n--->∞ (n^2)/n!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the limit is 0, but I don't know how to show it in detailed steps. Please help!

Answers and Replies

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Well, you can immediately cancel an [itex]n[/itex] from the numerator and the denominator. Then try pairing the remaining [itex]n[/itex] in the numerator with one of the factors in the denominator, and see what you can conclude.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There are a lot of ways. Try one. Then someone can help. You have to TRY something. What are some ways you can show a sequence converges?

I have already canceled the factor of n, and I am stuck at the next step. I have n/(n-1)(n-2)!

Any suggestions what to do next? How do I proof that =0?

This might be overkill for this problem, but try the squeeze theorem for a rigorous proof.

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have already canceled the factor of n, and I am stuck at the next step. I have n/(n-1)(n-2)!

Any suggestions what to do next? How do I proof that =0?
OK, so you have this:

[tex]\left(\frac{n}{n-1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{(n-2)!}\right)[/tex]

Can you compute the limits of the two factors in parentheses?

The limit of the first is 1, and the limit of the next is 0? Correct? Then can I simply multiply 1(0)=0. Will that be enough explanation?

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The limit of the first is 1, and the limit of the next is 0? Correct? Then can I simply multiply 1(0)=0. Will that be enough explanation?
Yes, as long as you have the theorem that the limit of a product is the product of the limits. If not, you will either have to prove that, or find your limit a different way.

Yes, I am able to use the product theorem. Thanks for the help!