1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced Calculus Sequences

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the given limit exists and find their values. Give clear explanations using limit properties.

2. Relevant equations

lim n--->∞ (n^2)/n!

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the limit is 0, but I don't know how to show it in detailed steps. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you can immediately cancel an [itex]n[/itex] from the numerator and the denominator. Then try pairing the remaining [itex]n[/itex] in the numerator with one of the factors in the denominator, and see what you can conclude.

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are a lot of ways. Try one. Then someone can help. You have to TRY something. What are some ways you can show a sequence converges?

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4
    I have already canceled the factor of n, and I am stuck at the next step. I have n/(n-1)(n-2)!

Any suggestions what to do next? How do I proof that =0?

6. Sep 19, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This might be overkill for this problem, but try the squeeze theorem for a rigorous proof.

7. Sep 20, 2012 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, so you have this:

[tex]\left(\frac{n}{n-1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{(n-2)!}\right)[/tex]

Can you compute the limits of the two factors in parentheses?

8. Sep 20, 2012 #7
    The limit of the first is 1, and the limit of the next is 0? Correct? Then can I simply multiply 1(0)=0. Will that be enough explanation?

9. Sep 20, 2012 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, as long as you have the theorem that the limit of a product is the product of the limits. If not, you will either have to prove that, or find your limit a different way.

10. Sep 20, 2012 #9
    Yes, I am able to use the product theorem. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook