1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced calculus

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that x=cosx, for some xε(0,∏/2).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Define f(x)=x-cosx, i want to show that for some aε(0,∏/2), limx→af(x)=0. is this correct?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

No, that won't help you.
    If the y value at x=0 is negative, and the y value at x = pi/2 is positive (these values can be shown because it's easy to compute them), then what can we conclude from this?

Does this logic extend to every function? Think about y=1/x, at x=-1 we have y=-1, and at x=1 we have y=1, but the function doesn't cross the x-axis at all.

4. Mar 19, 2013 #3

do you have a better explanation sir?

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I suppose.

Take the function y=2x. How do we show it crosses the x-axis between x=-1 and x=1?

Well, what is the y value at x=-1? y=2(-1)=-2. So at x=-1, the function is below the x-axis.
    What about at x=1? y=2(1)=2, which is above the x-axis. So since the function went from below the x-axis at x=-1 to above the x-axis at x=1, does this mean we can conclude that it must've crossed the x-axis somewhere in between? Yes!

Why? Well again, think about the function y=1/x and try using the same procedure I just showed you. Everything seems to be the same, except that this function doesn't cross the x-axis. What's different?

6. Mar 19, 2013 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is a direct application of a known theorem - I guess it was discussed during lecture or is mentioned in your book.

Mentallic tries to guide you to the intuitive understanding behind this theorem.

7. Mar 19, 2013 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Right, it was silly of me not to mention the theorem involved in solving this problem.

kimkibun, the Intermediate Value Theorem is what you're looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted