1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced Engineering Mathematics

1. Apr 27, 2003 #1

This book covers almost every topic that an undergraduate applied mathematics student could expect to encounter in their studies. It is a HUGE book, at 1156 pages plus appendicies.

1. Ordinary Differential Equations
    2. Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus
    3. Fourier Analysis and Partial Differential Equations
    4. Complex Analysis
    5. Numerical Methods
    6. Optimization, Graphs
    7. Probability and Statistics

Pros and Cons-

The positives for this book, are as I've said, it covers almost everything. The negatives are that it is maybe a bit expensive for a new copy, (not to bad for a second hand copy). I have no idea how much it is in countries other than Australia, but I know it is a bit pricey here.

I think this book is great, and it is already serving me well, and I've only had it for a month. I guess it is up to you to way up the pro's and cons.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2004 #2
    I have found this book to be an invaluable reference...I haven't used it too much but I have found a reasonable explanation for just about everything I ever wanted to know about mathematics in it. I still prefer full length texts to this kind of reference style book, however I just like to know all of the mathematical details :approve:
  4. Aug 24, 2004 #3
    I agree with the above. I used it for one of my classes and it has turned out to be a good reference, but lacks depth on any particular area so it isn't really useful for anything serious.
  5. Aug 25, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this the book by Ken Stroud?
  6. Sep 21, 2004 #5
    Yeah is it the Wliey one or the Advanced Engineering Mathematics
    by K. A. Stroud, Dexter J. Booth ??
  7. Sep 22, 2004 #6
    I found both of these in a library, and i's have to say that the Wiely one is far supperior to that of Strouds. Good luke finding them, i happen to be 3 block away from one of the best libraries in the country.... The Carnegie Library
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?