Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced Engineering Mathematics

1. Apr 27, 2003 #1
    Introduction-

This book covers almost every topic that an undergraduate applied mathematics student could expect to encounter in their studies. It is a HUGE book, at 1156 pages plus appendicies.

Contents-

1. Ordinary Differential Equations
    2. Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus
    3. Fourier Analysis and Partial Differential Equations
    4. Complex Analysis
    5. Numerical Methods
    6. Optimization, Graphs
    7. Probability and Statistics
      [/list=1]

Pros and Cons-

The positives for this book, are as I've said, it covers almost everything. The negatives are that it is maybe a bit expensive for a new copy, (not to bad for a second hand copy). I have no idea how much it is in countries other than Australia, but I know it is a bit pricey here.

Conclusion-

I think this book is great, and it is already serving me well, and I've only had it for a month. I guess it is up to you to way up the pro's and cons.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2004 #2
    I have found this book to be an invaluable reference...I haven't used it too much but I have found a reasonable explanation for just about everything I ever wanted to know about mathematics in it. I still prefer full length texts to this kind of reference style book, however I just like to know all of the mathematical details :approve:

4. Aug 24, 2004 #3
    I agree with the above. I used it for one of my classes and it has turned out to be a good reference, but lacks depth on any particular area so it isn't really useful for anything serious.

5. Aug 25, 2004 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this the book by Ken Stroud?

6. Sep 21, 2004 #5
    Yeah is it the Wliey one or the Advanced Engineering Mathematics
    by K. A. Stroud, Dexter J. Booth ??

7. Sep 22, 2004 #6
    I found both of these in a library, and i's have to say that the Wiely one is far supperior to that of Strouds. Good luke finding them, i happen to be 3 block away from one of the best libraries in the country.... The Carnegie Library

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook