1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

"Advanced" Geometry course

1. Sep 19, 2014 #1
    I would like to refresh my "normal" or Euclidean Geometry quickly and then proceed to Non-Euclidean Geometry.

But I don't have a clue where to start. (It's because I want to learn more about Relativity, but my geometry hasn't got an update since long time ago)

I don't know what a manifold is, for starters. :)

Now I Google about Non-Euclidean Geometry and you got more than 1 type of N.E.G.

So, I haven't got a clue where to start.

I remember however this kind of a geometry in high school, where two parallel lines cross each other when going to infinity in a point that doesn't really exist? That's as far as my knowledge of geometry goes (I mean, that was the most advanced of "pure geometry" I encountered)

So how do I refresh my geometry and get ready for more exotic stuff?

I also have no notice from topology, differential geometry or tensor calculus. And what should I do first?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2014 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Diff. geometry is preceded by calculus. You have to take each step at a time. Point set topology comes as a side dish to fundamental (real) calculus. Then you have linear algebra, also before tackling diff. geometry.

4. Sep 20, 2014 #3
    Ok, so I got Calculus (including multivariable calculus) and Linear Algebra and Differential Equations covered, so the next step is Differential Geometry?

But for me something to learn, I have to look at a lot of premade solutions. So Schaum's Outline Of Differential Geometry in combination with a more theoretical book will do fine?

U got an idea of a good textbook on Differential Geometry?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook