Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced math

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    whats the role of advanced math in a ordinary person' life directly? does it make a big change in ur life wether u know advanced math or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2

Can't solve the time dependent schrodinger equation without it, and without that, your life has no meaning whatsoever.

4. Mar 14, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I guess it depends a bit on what you mean by it playing a "role" in someone's life. If you mean, does every individual need to know advanced math to get along in life, then, no. Knowing math up through some basic algebra is enough for most people to do everything they need to do. But, does someone need to know it? Then, yes, because it does get used by those who design things that simplify our lives (or maybe they complicate our lives...I never remember which :biggrin:).

5. Mar 14, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it has been shown now that doing complex mathematics actually makes a person smarter in various ways. Also, I believe [IMO] that it teaches a logical discipline found nowhere else. It is the purest form of logic known to humans.

6. Mar 14, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've got to love questions that are open-ended enough to have multiple interpretations! I was interpreting it as asking if the average person NEEDS advanced math, and it seems you're interpreting it as asking if knowing math would enrich a person's life. On that second interpretation, I'd agree with you...but to the same extent that any advanced learning can enrich someone's life. And, yes, math is inherently very logical, but I'm not sure if it makes one more logical, or if it's just that people who already tend toward being more logical have a greater affinity for learning math.

7. Mar 14, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, we all know that biologists certainly aren't logical. There's no way you could crawl around in the dark in the middle of nowhere all night, trying to find some bizarre animal, only to come home and tell your significant other than you're "logical." :tongue2:

- Warren

8. Mar 14, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I don't crawl around in the dark trying to find bizarre animals; I crawl around in the dark all night trying to catch sheep! :uhh: Though, I'm logical enough to know that telling my significant other that I'm logical requires having a significant other. :tongue:

9. Mar 14, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So does chroot!!!

:biggrin:

10. Mar 14, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And I thought it was just Danger and Artman I had to keep away from my sheep! :surprised :rofl:

11. Mar 14, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh oh, no response from chroot.

MB, if you don't see me for a day or so could you unban me?

12. Mar 14, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, you bet! :uhh: Assuming I don't get banned along with you. *digs through desk drawer* Phew! I still have a few of those GOOBF cards. Here, I have enough to share...they expire soon anyway, so better use them while we can. :biggrin:

13. Mar 14, 2006 #12
    ok i got it what logic means.u strat by advanced math and end with sheep. let wait more and see where were going after this point!

14. Mar 14, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: :rofl: It's all Chroot's fault! :tongue2:

15. Mar 14, 2006 #14

Yeah, once someone mentions sheep, Moonbear just gets all excited, and starts talking about Lorentz dilations instead of lorentz contractions. :rolleyes:

16. Mar 14, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was more interested in Lorentz expansions, actually, but I guess I need to follow all the logical steps from dilations to expansions. o:)

17. Mar 14, 2006 #16
    I don't know any advanced math; therefore, I am too stupid to give you a valid answer.

18. Mar 14, 2006 #17
    What do you mean by advanced math?

19. Mar 14, 2006 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I had the same thought.

Partial differential equations or complicated integrals or integro-differential equation or topology or abstract algebra or . . . .

My company does analytical research, which means we develop models of physical systems and do simulations under a variety of conditions - in a nutshell - we do predictive analysis.

20. Mar 14, 2006 #19

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Mozart lovers are unordinary persons. Thus, Mozart plays no role in ordinary persons' lives.
    Ordinary persons have too little capital to benefit from stock market knowledge. Thus, knowledge of the stock market is of little value to the ordinary person.

21. Mar 14, 2006 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess the question can be raised as...

Should it play a role in an ordinary person's life?

In the case of Mozart, I'd say yes. I believe it brings positive thoughts to someone's life, and possibly making them more open to different solutions. That's one, but there are many other reasons. It leads to a happier life in my opinion, which is usually the ultimate goal of an ordinary person.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?