Advanced Momentum Question -

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bomb exploding into 3 pieces on a horizontal surface. The first two pieces fly at a 60 degree angle to each other and the third piece has a vector velocity of 30 m/s. The conversation then discusses how to solve for the direction and mass of the third piece using conservation of momentum in both horizontal and vertical directions. The final solution is found to be an angle of 30 degrees and a mass of approximately -38 kg.
MrRottenTreats
Advanced Momentum Question -- need help

The Question

A bomb initially at rest on a smooth, horizontal surface explodes into 3 pieces. Two pieces fly across the surface at a 60 degree angle to each other: a 2.0 kg at 20 m/s and a 3.0 kg piece at 12 m/s. The 3rd pieces flys across the surface as well with a vector velocity of 30 m/s.

--> make a hypothetical prediction based on the direction of the 3rd piece.

assuming 100% conservation of momentum in both horizontal and veritcal directions, solve for the direction of the 3rd mass.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I made my cartesian plane, had the 2 bomb going [60 east of north] and [60 east of south] and the third somewhere in the NW direction.

from here i am kind of lost, i was thinking to break each into there compentents?

Physics news on Phys.org
MrRottenTreats said:
The Question

A bomb initially at rest on a smooth, horizontal surface explodes into 3 pieces. Two pieces fly across the surface at a 60 degree angle to each other: a 2.0 kg at 20 m/s and a 3.0 kg piece at 12 m/s. The 3rd pieces flys across the surface as well with a vector velocity of 30 m/s.

--> make a hypothetical prediction based on the direction of the 3rd piece.

assuming 100% conservation of momentum in both horizontal and veritcal directions, solve for the direction of the 3rd mass.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I made my cartesian plane, had the 2 bomb going [60 east of north] and [60 east of south] and the third somewhere in the NW direction.

from here i am kind of lost, i was thinking to break each into there compentents?
Yes, the only way to proceed is to break the momenta into x and y components. Then impose that the sum of the x components of all 3 pieces is zero and same for the sum of the y components.
Then isolate the x and y components of the piece moving at 30 m/s. You will get something of the form

[tex] m v_x = A [/tex]
[tex] m v_y = B [/tex]
where A and B are some numbers. Then square both expressions and add them up. Using the fact that [itex] v_x^2 + v_y^2 = (30 m/s)^2 = 900 m^2/s^2 [/itex] you will find the mass. Then go back to one of the two equations above and find theta (using, say [itex] v_x = 30 m/s cos (\theta) [/itex]).

Pat

okay thank you very much i have this solved , i broke the horizontal and vertical up, then isolated for the m3 , then equated them to get rid of the m3.

i got:

-38 / 30cos(Theta) = -65.8 / 30sin(theta)

cross multiplied and got 30 degress as my angle. :D

MrRottenTreats said:
okay thank you very much i have this solved , i broke the horizontal and vertical up, then isolated for the m3 , then equated them to get rid of the m3.

i got:

-38 / 30cos(Theta) = -65.8 / 30sin(theta)

cross multiplied and got 30 degress as my angle. :D
Ok..
I am not sure how you defined your theta. Using v_x = 30 cos(theta) and v_y = 30 sin(theta) for the third mass would have led to a theta larger than 90 degrees, obviously. But You may have defined your theta to be North of West in which case 30 degrees seems plausible.

I haven't checked your number but that may be right.
Notice that you should *definitely* double check your answers for theta and the mass by plugging them back in your initial equations for momentum conservation along x and y and see that the total momentum is zero.

Glad I could help.

Regards

Pat

1. What is advanced momentum?

Advanced momentum refers to the concept in physics that an object in motion will continue to move in the same direction and speed unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is advanced momentum different from regular momentum?

Regular momentum describes the quantity of motion an object has based on its mass and velocity, while advanced momentum takes into account the object's direction and the forces acting upon it.

3. Can advanced momentum be applied to all objects?

Yes, advanced momentum applies to all objects in motion, regardless of their size or composition. However, it is most commonly used to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

4. What are some real-life applications of advanced momentum?

Some common applications of advanced momentum include understanding the movement of particles in particle accelerators, predicting the trajectories of spacecraft, and analyzing collisions in sports such as billiards and pool.

5. How is advanced momentum related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Advanced momentum is closely related to Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the first law which states that an object in motion will continue in motion unless acted upon by a net external force. Advanced momentum expands upon this concept by also considering the object's direction of motion.