1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced Momentum Question - need help

1. May 15, 2006 #1
    Advanced Momentum Question -- need help

The Question

A bomb initially at rest on a smooth, horizontal surface explodes into 3 pieces. Two pieces fly across the surface at a 60 degree angle to each other: a 2.0 kg at 20 m/s and a 3.0 kg piece at 12 m/s. The 3rd pieces flys across the surface as well with a vector velocity of 30 m/s.

--> make a hypothetical prediction based on the direction of the 3rd piece.

assuming 100% conservation of momentum in both horizontal and veritcal directions, solve for the direction of the 3rd mass.

I made my cartesian plane, had the 2 bomb going [60 east of north] and [60 east of south] and the third somewhere in the NW direction.

from here i am kind of lost, i was thinking to break each into there compentents?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the only way to proceed is to break the momenta into x and y components. Then impose that the sum of the x components of all 3 pieces is zero and same for the sum of the y components.
    Then isolate the x and y components of the piece moving at 30 m/s. You will get something of the form

[tex] m v_x = A [/tex]
    [tex] m v_y = B [/tex]
    where A and B are some numbers. Then square both expressions and add them up. Using the fact that [itex] v_x^2 + v_y^2 = (30 m/s)^2 = 900 m^2/s^2 [/itex] you will find the mass. Then go back to one of the two equations above and find theta (using, say [itex] v_x = 30 m/s cos (\theta) [/itex]).

4. May 15, 2006 #3
    okay thank you very much i have this solved , i broke the horizontal and vertical up, then isolated for the m3 , then equated them to get rid of the m3.

i got:

-38 / 30cos(Theta) = -65.8 / 30sin(theta)

cross multiplied and got 30 degress as my angle. :D
  5. May 15, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure how you defined your theta. Using v_x = 30 cos(theta) and v_y = 30 sin(theta) for the third mass would have led to a theta larger than 90 degrees, obviously. But You may have defined your theta to be North of West in which case 30 degrees seems plausible.

I haven't checked your number but that may be right.
    Notice that you should *definitely* double check your answers for theta and the mass by plugging them back in your initial equations for momentum conservation along x and y and see that the total momentum is zero.

Glad I could help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?