Is AP Calculus AB Enough for Advanced Placement in College Calculus Courses?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school senior preparing for the AP Calculus AB exam and considering whether to take the exam for college credit and skip calculus 1 and 2, or to take these courses in college. They discuss the differences between the AP Calculus AB and BC classes, and whether the material covered in AB is enough to exempt from calculus 2. They also mention the importance of checking the course catalog and syllabi to compare the material covered in AB with that of college calculus courses. The experts advise against starting with multivariable calculus without a strong foundation in calculus 2, and recommend studying beyond series with only AB test knowledge.
mgiddy911
I'm a high school senior preparing for the AP Calculus AB exam. The school I am attending for college awards credit (placement) for both Calc 1 and 2, if I receive a score of a 5 on the exam, meaning I would begin taking multivariable calculus (i think tis their equiv of calc 3 course).
Otherwise if I get a 4 I will skip only calc 1 and begin with calc 2.
My dilemma is that I don't really know if my calculus course AP Calc AB (i'm not in the BC class) is covering material from calc 2. Granted I would take some time to study it over the summer if I was able to skip it but do you think it would be beneficial to take calc 2, would I have to spend way too much time learning it myself anyways? or Could I get by beginning in multivariable calc.
By the way Physics (Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathemetics) is my intended major
Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I took calc III a year ago and only got a 4 on the AP exam. I got an A in the class with minor problems. I would say as long as you can develope some backups in the class (Study group or phone numbers) that you will be alright taking multi-variable.

I remember our AB exam being nothing like what the calc II class was in our univeristy. You probably should check out the course catalog at the university and see what their calculus II course is about and compare it to what you hvae covered in your AB course

Isn't BC usually supposed to be the Calc II curriculum? I took the BC exam and got exempted from calc I and II. Maybe I could have used another calculus course but I don't regret it. Well, actually, I took a Statistics course that I didn't know was too advanced (really depended on Calc III) and that didn't go too well, so maybe I should have taken Calc II. But if I had taken Calc III and then taken the statistics course I probably would have had no problem.

I've heard people say that Calc III doesn't depend all that much on Calc II.

Yeah I thought BC was calculus 2. My calculus 2 class was almost completely different than my AB AP calculus class as well.

Are you guys covering Series in your AP Calculus class?

AB is supposed to be just what is considered as calculus 1 at most colleges and maybe a little more, it covers differentiation, integration and a few applications of integration but not enough that it should exempt you from taking Calc 2 because it does not cover series etc. The BC class covers everything that AB does as well as series, more applications of integration and polar and parametric coordinate systems, which is almost equal to the basic calc 1 and 2 curriculum at most schools, so I wouldn't recommend starting with multivariable calc even if you get a 5 on the AB test because you will need several things that you should have learned in calc 2 to be successful.

Pengwuino said:
You probably should check out the course catalog at the university and see what their calculus II course is about and compare it to what you hvae covered in your AB course

Also, they probably have course syllabi on line, and maybe even lecture notes, sample problems, etc. Those are more likely to reflect what's actually covered in class. Course descriptions in catalogs sometimes get out of date, or are purposely vague, especially with multi-course sequences where topics sometimes get moved from one course to another.

i don't recommand people to take anything beyond series with only AB test knowledge. In my school, this is the same as don't take cal3 if you just pass AB test, even you make a 5

1. What is Advanced Placement with Calc?

Advanced Placement with Calc is a program designed by the College Board that offers high school students the opportunity to take college-level courses in calculus. These courses are challenging and rigorous, and they can potentially earn students college credit if they pass the AP exam at the end of the course.

2. Who can take Advanced Placement with Calc?

Any high school student can enroll in Advanced Placement with Calc if their school offers the program. However, it is recommended that students have a strong foundation in algebra and geometry before taking this course.

3. How is the Advanced Placement with Calc exam structured?

The AP Calc exam is divided into two sections: multiple-choice and free-response. The multiple-choice section consists of 45 questions and accounts for 50% of the overall score. The free-response section includes six questions and accounts for the remaining 50% of the score.

4. What score do I need to receive college credit for Advanced Placement with Calc?

The required score for college credit varies from institution to institution. Generally, a score of 3 or higher is considered passing and may earn you college credit. However, some colleges may require a score of 4 or 5 for credit.

5. Is it worth taking Advanced Placement with Calc?

Taking Advanced Placement with Calc can have many benefits. It can help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, prepare you for college-level courses, and potentially earn you college credit. It is also a great way to challenge yourself and stand out on college applications.