Advanced problem on Kinetic Theory of Gases

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the final temperature of an ideal monoatomic gas confined in a cylinder by a spring-loaded piston. The gas is initially at 300K and is heated by a heater causing the piston to move out by 0.1 m. By applying the ideal gas law and taking into account the work done by the gas and the change in internal energy, the final temperature is found to be 800K. However, the conversation also mentions a discrepancy of a factor of 2 which is resolved by considering the gas is heated and applying the first law of thermodynamics.
zorro

Homework Statement

An ideal monoatomic gas is confined in a cylinder by a spring-loaded piston of cross section 8 x 10-3m2. Initially the gas is at 300K and occupies a volume of 2.4 x 10-3 m3 and the spring is in its relaxed state. The gas is heated by a smalll heater until the piston moves out slowly by 0.1 m. Calculate the final temp of the gas. The force constant of the spring equals 8000N/m, Patm = 1atm. The cylinder and the piston are thermally insulated. The piston and the spring are massless and there is no friction between the piston and the cylinder. Neglect any heat loss through lead wires of the heater. The heat capacity of the heater coil is negligible.

The Attempt at a Solution

Work done by the gas in expansion
W = 0.5kx2 + Patm x A x 0.1
Since the cylinder and piston are thermally insulated.
Work done equals the change in internal energy i.e. W=nCv[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

on solving, nCv[tex]\Delta[/tex]T = 120
now Cv=1.5R and n=PV/RT
so 1.5PV[tex]\Delta[/tex]T/T = 120
P,V,T are known to us
so [tex]\Delta[/tex]T = 100
T2 - T=100
T2=100 + 300 =400

But the answer is 800 K which only differs by a factor of 2.
Please tell me what is the problem.
I checked all my calculations. They are correct.

Attachments

• pis.jpg
    pis.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 601
Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming this is adiabatic? The question says the gas is heated. So [itex]\Delta Q \ne 0[/itex]. Apply the first law. Work done by the gas does not equal (-) change in internal energy.

I don't think you need to find the work done. What you have to do is apply the ideal gas law to find the final state (Pf, Vf, Tf). But to do that, you need to know the final pressure. Work that out. When you get that, you will be able to find the final temperature.

AM

Thanks a lot Sir!
I got my answer.

1. What is the kinetic theory of gases?

The kinetic theory of gases is a model that explains the behavior and properties of gases in terms of the motion of their particles. It states that gases consist of small particles in constant, random motion and that the pressure, temperature, and volume of a gas are related to the average kinetic energy of its particles.

2. What is the ideal gas law and how is it related to the kinetic theory of gases?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of gases under various conditions. It states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are directly proportional to each other, and is derived from the kinetic theory of gases by assuming that gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other.

3. What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a hypothetical gas that follows the ideal gas law perfectly, while a real gas deviates from the ideal gas law due to the presence of intermolecular forces and the volume of its particles. Real gases also exhibit non-ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures.

4. How does temperature affect the kinetic energy of gas particles?

According to the kinetic theory of gases, the average kinetic energy of gas particles is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. As the temperature increases, the particles move faster and have a higher average kinetic energy. This relationship is known as the kinetic energy-temperature relationship.

5. What is the relationship between the root-mean-square speed of gas particles and temperature?

The root-mean-square speed of gas particles is directly proportional to the square root of the temperature, according to the kinetic theory of gases. This means that as the temperature increases, the average speed of gas particles also increases. However, this relationship only holds true for ideal gases at low pressures.