Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced S.H.M. Problem

1. Oct 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform cylindrical pulley of mass M and radius R can freely rotate about the horizontal axis O. The free end of a thread tightly wound on the pulley carries a dead weight A. At a certain angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] it counter balances a point mass m fixed at the rim of the pulley. Find the angular frequency of small oscillations of the arrangement (refer figure).

3. The attempt at a solution

Let the mass of the dead weight be m1
    Considering rotational equilibrium about O, we have
    m1gR = mgRsin[tex]\alpha[/tex]
    i.e. m1 = msin[tex]\alpha[/tex]

Let the pulley be displaced through a small angle [tex]\theta[/tex] in the clockwise direction.

The Total Energy of the system after rotation through the small angle is-
    E = mgRcos([tex]\alpha + \theta[/tex]) - m1gR([tex]\alpha+\theta[/tex]) + Iω²/2 + m1ω²R²/2

As the system is conservative, the time derivative of energy is 0
    dE/dt = 0

on solving the above equation,
    I got dω/dt = mgRsin[tex]\alpha[/tex] + m1gR/(I + m1R2)

Now m1 = msin[tex]\alpha[/tex] and I = MR²/2 + mR² ( I did not include m1R² as I already took its kinetic energy as m1ω²R²/2)

on solving further,

d[tex]\omega[/tex]/dt = 2mgsin[tex]\alpha[/tex]/[(1+sin[tex]\alpha[/tex])mR +MR/2]

which is not proportional to [tex]\theta[/tex]!!!
    and hence not a S.H.M.

The answer given is ω² = 2mgcos[tex]\alpha[/tex]/[MR + 2mR(1+sinα)]

Please help!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2010 #2
    a figure will help

4. Oct 29, 2010 #3
    I attached it now.

5. Oct 29, 2010 #4
    Did it help?

6. Oct 29, 2010 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Five comments:
    1. Check your signs. You have a sign error here.
    2. The mass A is undergoing pure translational motion. The cylinder is undergoing pure rotational motion. Combining these two to form one value, Iω²/2, is not a good idea.
    3. You have made a notational error here that will hurt you later. You are obviously using ω=dθ/dt here. That's fine, but later on you are using ω to denote the harmonic oscillator frequency. That frequency is not equal to dθ/dt.
    4. Purely stylistic comment: Don't mix latex math with HTML math. The results are strikingly ugly and hard to read. Stick with one or the other.
    5. Here's an HTML alpha: α

This does not follow from your earlier result. Hint: What happened to θ?

7. Oct 30, 2010 #6
    Thanks Sir! I got my answer.

I am new to Latex, sorry for inconvenience.
    Thanks for your advise.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook