Advantage of LinkedIn and XING

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of private job matching and how centralized platforms such as LinkedIn and XING may address issues in the job market. The paper suggests that these platforms use a business-oriented best-fit optimization strategy that may favor higher-paying employers and candidates, potentially neglecting the well-being of the job market as a whole. The participants in the conversation discuss the implications of this strategy and how it may not be in the best interest of the job market.
zak100
Summary:: Hi,
I am reading a research paper. It describes an advantage of linkedIn and XING which I can't understand. I need help in understand that:

Paper
at:
PrivateJobMatch: A Privacy-Oriented Deferred Multi-Match Recommender System for Stable Employment

While centralized
platforms such as LinkedIn [11] and XING [3] have the potential to
address these issues, they use a business-oriented best-fit optimization
strategy that favors higher-paying employers and candidates
over the well-being of the job market as a whole. However, addressing
this coordination failure in a neutral way, may significantly
help both job-seekers and employers identify well-suited matches,
betting the job market outcome.

Somebody please guide me what is the advantage of LINKEDIn and XING in the context of business oriented best fit optimization startegy.

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you are confusing what is in the best interests of a job seeker vis-a-vis the best interests of an employer.

Hi,
Thanks for your response. Your clue refines my question. I can't understand this:

that favors higher-paying employers and candidates over the well-being of the job market as a whole

employers are higher payers, that's fine but candidates are not, so no need of "and" here. What does it mean by "over the well-being of the job market as a whole".

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

that favors higher-paying employers and candidates over the well-being of the job market as a whole
I think that "and candidates" could be interpreted as something like ', and candidates for highly-paid positions,'.

Likes berkeman
How is this going to favor the market, if we consider only highly paid employers? or they forgetting the whole market and protecting the interest of the highly paid employers only?

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
How is this going to favor the market, if we consider only highly paid employers? or they forgetting the whole market and protecting the interest of the highly paid employers only?

Zulfi.
Please -- mirroring your earlier point, it's not "highly paid employers" -- the relevant to that issue point of the article seemed to me to be a criticism of favoring the high-end over the well-being of the whole of the job market.

Hi,
Thanks for your insight. RS should not support highly paid employers over the well-being of the whole of the job market.

Zulfi.

Moderator's note: Moved thread to General Discussion.

• Skeptical
Likes zak100 and sysprog
@zak100 It's not "highly paid employers" -- please think it through.

Hi, I have thought it. I have put it to the forum for the discussion. I don't know what you guys mean by general discussion.

Zulfi;

zak100 said:
Hi, I have thought it. I have put it to the forum for the discussion. I don't know what you guys mean by general discussion.

Zulfi;
Moved to the General Discussion Forum.

What is LinkedIn and XING?

LinkedIn and XING are two popular professional networking platforms that allow individuals to connect with other professionals, showcase their skills and experience, and search for job opportunities.

What are the advantages of using LinkedIn and XING?

The main advantage of using LinkedIn and XING is the ability to expand your professional network and connect with potential job opportunities. These platforms also allow you to showcase your skills and experience, which can increase your visibility and credibility in your industry.

How can I make the most out of LinkedIn and XING?

To make the most out of LinkedIn and XING, it is important to have a complete and professional profile, actively connect with others in your industry, join relevant groups and participate in discussions, and share relevant content and updates.

Are there any drawbacks to using LinkedIn and XING?

One potential drawback of using LinkedIn and XING is the potential for receiving spam messages or connection requests from individuals who are not genuinely interested in networking. It is important to carefully manage your connections and privacy settings to avoid these issues.

Can I use LinkedIn and XING for job searching?

Yes, both LinkedIn and XING have job search features that allow you to search and apply for job opportunities. Additionally, having a strong professional presence on these platforms can also attract recruiters and potential employers to reach out to you with job opportunities.