Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adventure, anyone?

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A while back, there was a thread about how difficult it is to start new friendships as an adult. There were many thoughtful posts there…one in particular caught my attention and got me thinking about aging in general:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2518422&postcount=20"

Sigh…oh my, so familiar! I’ve found this to be sadly accurate of a lot of people once they get to middle age. Routines are comforting at every age, but in middle age they can become sacrosanct and inviolable. They can be soothing, but also like heroine to our spirits, turning us into effete, automated machines that get grouchy when we're out of our safe little ruts.

I wish I was immune from this but I feel the pull too, the way a comfy bed calls you when you’re tired. To counter it, I force myself to take risks. Now I’m not talking about doing stupid things. I mean, doing the kind of things that surprise my friends and family when they hear about it (for example, belly dancing lessons, haha :blushing:).

I’m directing this thread to anyone who fights against tedium, but mostly middle aged people, since it seems that’s when it becomes harder to take risks.

So are there any PFers working to get out of the comfort zone? How?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2010 #2
    I am too young but seems like it is very hard to do something new for me.

4. Jun 4, 2010 #3
    Yeah Lisab, I'm thinking of reinventing myself by doing new things. One, I think I must be already a wergin again like Madonna so I can probably marry royalty. :rofl:
    In reality I have taken up Michael Jackson again. Dancing and singing. Being cool. I cool.
    My husband is going orthodox on me so I will be ...being cool in a long dress, but I still be cool. I was also just watching CNN and there is a younger woman who is helping folks like us live longer at home. I may give up a "power nap" or two to go help her out..... While I still can. :uhh:
    Thanks for asking .... Now, "Who's Bad?" :biggrin:

5. Jun 4, 2010 #4
    I got put in "jail" for doing what you suggest. So my advice is be careful and don't let any of the other adults see you doing it.
    Also I don't agree with your efforts to resist your bed. If you remember when you where a kid if you felt tired you where probably willing to sleep regardless to what was going on around you. I myself only sleep when im feeling tired this means I for the most part have no sleep pattern besides random and take naps when ever I feel like it. Actually im about to go take one now...

6. Jun 4, 2010 #5
    I am trying to save money so I have become a hermit. I used to love to go out to bars and shoot pool. Met many an interesting character I met that way.

7. Jun 4, 2010 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that was me who made the thread complaining about having trouble making friends, and resolving to try harder this year. I've been making some progress. I invited two new people to lunch last month - both women who work on campus but in different departments. Both accepted and we had a really nice time. I also have plans with two coworkers in my division, one is going to lunch with me and another is going with me to a comedy club. And one of my old pals who lives far from me now is going to be in town next weekend and we are going to the movies. I also joined several Meetup groups, but haven't had time to do any of them because I have been busy with a class (the class has provided a bit of networking and new friends, as well).

So, I'm happy to report I did get a little bit done on my New Years resolution. :smile:

8. Jun 4, 2010 #7
    No new cats then? :-(

9. Jun 4, 2010 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The bed thingy was a metaphor :tongue2:. I get plenty of sleep every night!

10. Jun 4, 2010 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Excellent! That's just the kind of risk taking that gets harder for me. I took a class too, and I think I was older than the professor. Which is fine, maybe I can follow Zooby's lead and make friends with younger people.

11. Jun 4, 2010 #10
    The family is going to Ecuador this summer. I have to come back to work so I'll only be there for a week. But my wife and son will stay for 3 weeks. We are going to scope out the place for possible retirement there. Apparently there is a large expat community there. I'll have to brush up on my Spanish. "Escuchame bien!", "A mi manera", etc.

12. Jun 4, 2010 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I meet new people all the time. I've never had trouble meeting people or making new friends.

Work is very busy these days. It's challenging, at times a bit overwhelming, but we still manage to have fun.

13. Jun 4, 2010 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uno cerveza mas, por favor.

I've heard the same about Costa Rica...it sounds like a great place. Except, a friend of mine did have a bit of a mishap there - his wife hit a monkey while driving.

So watch out for monkeys, Jimmy!

14. Jun 4, 2010 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not yet. I am planning to move, so I don't want to take on more animals until I know what the new policies will be.

15. Jun 4, 2010 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Greg can teach you the Thriller dance.

Now, where did that video go?

16. Jun 4, 2010 #15
    Apparently monkeys are as common in Ecuador as people are in North Jersey.

17. Jun 4, 2010 #16
    lisab--when I read your post, my first thought was--'What is she going to do?'------it sounds like you have something in mind already (like a list, but with one thing nearer the top of the list)----

soooooo, is it something like going to Marrakesh to learn belly dancing the old fashion way?

18. Jun 4, 2010 #17
    I saw that video. That's why..... :blushing: Eventually I wrote to Greg and asked him about the way the young people he knows feel about MJ and that is kinda how I got started back up.
    I guess i would say Greg started it, but I don't think Greg wasn't yet here when we were first singing and dancing with Michael. OK,... "Who's Bad?" :tongue2:

19. Jun 4, 2010 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, like most people, I have a list in my head of "I wanna do that someday". That list doesn't have Marrakesh on it...but maybe it should :biggrin:!

No, I have nothing particular in mind. I'm just trying avoid being too risk-averse in my old age.

20. Jun 4, 2010 #19
    I make plans several times a month to go see live music. Sometimes its with my younger friends, and then friends my age, but I also have friends who are over 70.

I don't have a problem making friends. When I am forced to eat alone, I approach someone else who is eating alone, and ask to join them. I have never been refused, but a few times they were so odd I sort of regretted it.

21. Jun 5, 2010 #20
    That's so great Hypatia. I wish I could be so bold.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook