Adventure, anyone?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
You're pretty much describing my reaction to small talk, as well. I am a substance oriented conversationalist and can't let the small talk go on too long. Things have to meander to something interesting relatively quickly or I'll meander away. On the other hand, with the right people, I can have fun for hours just playing around. Nothing gets discussed, there's just a general mood of amusement to which everyone contributes.
I abhor small talk, and have to do it every day in my line of work. However, small talk can be used as a segue to delve deeper. I mean, what are you going to do? Meet someone, say, "Hi, nice to meet you, my name is Sally. What's your deepest passion in life?"

I abhor small talk, and have to do it every day in my line of work. However, small talk can be used as a segue to delve deeper. I mean, what are you going to do? Meet someone, say, "Hi, nice to meet you, my name is Sally. What's your deepest passion in life?"
Hi Sally. I'm Zooby. My deepest passion is doing zoobie stuff. It's what I do. It's my deepest passion.

What's your shallowest passion, Sally?

Hi Sally. I'm Zooby. My deepest passion is doing zoobie stuff. It's what I do. It's my deepest passion.

What's your shallowest passion, Sally?
Shallow is relative.

Now that I think about it, I actually like that opening line. :approve:

I'm still quite young, but already I feel the lethargy creeping in, a deep desire to hibernate in the comfort of air conditioning for a long, long time among other things. I've also never liked to travel, so say poof to a lot of excitement.

That's why I count on my friends to drag me with them, and I usually enjoy myself. Sometimes it's good and necessary to take the initiative, but if you can find close, active friends, so much the easier.

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Take my sister..

please.

I think rather than asking about someone's passions, a good segue into a deeper conversation is just to ask, "So, (insert name here), what's your story?"

Now that I think about it, I actually like that opening line. :approve:

I'm still quite young, but already I feel the lethargy creeping in, a deep desire to hibernate in the comfort of air conditioning for a long, long time among other things. I've also never liked to travel, so say poof to a lot of excitement.

That's why I count on my friends to drag me with them, and I usually enjoy myself. Sometimes it's good and necessary to take the initiative, but if you can find close, active friends, so much the easier.
I really think the only things that count are the ones you initiate yourself. Those are the things that most reflect your real curiosities, and which will keep you feeling alive. I'm going to guess there are a lot of things you'd actually like to do but feel you don't know how to get started.

I think rather than asking about someone's passions, a good segue into a deeper conversation is just to ask, "So, (insert name here), what's your story?"
"Just got released from the penitentary, thanks for asking. Did 30 for homicide."

(Something like this actually happened to me at the Cafe about two months ago.)

"Just got released from the penitentary, thanks for asking. Did 30 for homicide."

(Something like this actually happened to me at the Cafe about two months ago.)
Well at least it was something interesting! It sure beats someone telling you about their kids.

Ah, wit, how I envy you.
Have you read Freud's "Wit and it's Relation to the Unconscious"?

Math Is Hard wrote the sequel: "Relations, and their Unconsciousness to Wit". Went right over all her relatives heads.

Well at least it was something interesting! It sure beats someone telling you about their kids.
Hehe, yeah, but it was more than a little spooky. He'd actually only done 8 years for attempted murder, but people who've just been released from prison are sketchy and bewildered, like they're not sure if their freedom is a dream. And he started mentioning to everyone he had no money and no place to sleep, like he was hoping for an invitation over to someone's house. I kind of meandered away as soon as possible.

This is very interesting, from an outside perspective. I mean, most of you guys are scientists right? How cool is that--. Anyway, Lisa, what do you mean by risk? And magpies, how did you end up in jail?

I can't say I totally get where you guys are coming from. I do know that I hate when people try to talk to me when I'm eating.

Borek

Mentor

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is very interesting, from an outside perspective. I mean, most of you guys are scientists right? How cool is that--. Anyway, Lisa, what do you mean by risk? And magpies, how did you end up in jail?

I can't say I totally get where you guys are coming from. I do know that I hate when people try to talk to me when I'm eating.
By risk, I don't mean taking chances that endanger life and limb. I mean, doing new things. Something as simple as cooking a new recipe that uses a spice you've never heard of, or taking a walk through a park you've never been to before.

These are simple little things but as you get older, you tend to not take risks, even small ones. Life gets comfy...maybe too comfy.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
By risk, I don't mean taking chances that endanger life and limb. I mean, doing new things. Something as simple as cooking a new recipe that uses a spice you've never heard of, or taking a walk through a park you've never been to before.
Those things can be hardly called risks =).

Those things can be hardly called risks =).
`

Sure these are risks; after an afternoon of paragliding and bungee jumping one risks that the spices are yucky :yuck: and of course you can get lost in a park.

`

Sure these are risks; after an afternoon of paragliding and bungee jumping one risks that the spices are yucky :yuck: and of course you can get lost in a park.
and some people 'risk' going out of their apartment...

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited:
I'm open to a better word.
Ironically, I would term those rest and recuperation. Its incredible how stressful life becomes if you don't indulge in relaxing and interesting activities. Walks in the parks, in the woods, a evening at restaurant with your SO, a new food, I think at all those as rest.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads