Middle Age: Breaking Comfort Zones & Starting New Adventures

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of making new friendships as an adult, particularly in middle age when people become more set in their ways and routines. The participants discuss taking risks and trying new things to break out of their comfort zones and make new connections. Some have had success in this, while others have faced challenges, such as being judged by others or being busy with work and other commitments. Despite these obstacles, some have made progress in making new friends and are encouraged to continue trying.
kakarotyjn said:
Thank you.

It's now FIFA World Cup time,ha.I'm quite interested in soccer and I support Brasil! I think I will be enjoyable these days.:cool:

I hope Brazil wins!:approve: Those guys are really good. :smile: I'm also a big fan of ice hockey:rofl:, and recently I saw Lance Armstrong race! I love sports. Dancing is my favorite sport! I can dance for 4 hours straight! (tee,hee)

Brazil
- They have won the World Cup in all the continents it has been staged (North America, South America, Europe and Asia) so winning it in Africa would complete the set.

- They have lost just once in their last 26 matches (at altitude v Bolivia in La Paz).

- Luis Fabiano has not scored for Brazil since September (v Argentina), a run of eight matches.

- Brazil's squad is the oldest at this World Cup and is the oldest squad they have sent to a World Cup
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/matches/match_14/default.stm

Super nice talking with you, kakarotyjn:smile: What other sports are you a fan of?

Physics news on Phys.org
ViewsofMars said:
I hope Brazil wins!:approve: Those guys are really good. :smile: I'm also a big fan of ice hockey:rofl:, and recently I saw Lance Armstrong race! I love sports. Dancing is my favorite sport! I can dance for 4 hours straight! (tee,hee)

Super nice talking with you, kakarotyjn:smile: What other sports are you a fan of?

Oh,I know your favorite sport but it's a pity that I've never take part in ice hockey and dancing:shy: We don't have chance to meet them here.

My favorite sport is soccer,ha! I play it since I was 8.I remember when I was young I used to practice my skills alone in a big yard,and play games with other guys.Maybe my best memorys of my childhood is with it.

Now I also get interested in combat.For example boxing,MMA,Muay Thai and so on. I don't have chance to get professional training now but I like to watch the matches:smile:.And I practice my skills in my sparetime.I'm very amateur,haha.

Lance Amstrong is a legendary athlete,I'm not very familiar with him.I just searched him,he rejoin the match since 2008,so strong.

In China,or at least in my hometown,dancing isn't popular.But I know there are many people in the world dancing.I hope I could get the chance to dance one day:smile:

lisab said:
... like most people I have others depending on me. For example, my boss needs me to be at work at a certain time, of course. So...I have to, um, schedule my time to be spontaneous, lol. ...

This is MY main issue of why I don't get out and be adventurous... I have been begging for a clone for ever, and no one has created one yet. How do you get around the time issues? Do I purposely keep myself going at 150 mph for an excuse to not get out and have fun?

Ms Music said:
This is MY main issue of why I don't get out and be adventurous... I have been begging for a clone for ever, and no one has created one yet. How do you get around the time issues? Do I purposely keep myself going at 150 mph for an excuse to not get out and have fun?

Absolutely, time is so short anymore. When I'm focusing on the list in my head of things I got to do, I blink and bang! the clock has advanced further than I expected.

I guess it's either change up life to shorten the list, or find a way to unplug from it a little while.

kakarotyjn said:
Oh,I know your favorite sport but it's a pity that I've never take part in ice hockey and dancing:shy: We don't have chance to meet them here.

My favorite sport is soccer,ha! I play it since I was 8.I remember when I was young I used to practice my skills alone in a big yard,and play games with other guys.Maybe my best memorys of my childhood is with it.

Now I also get interested in combat.For example boxing,MMA,Muay Thai and so on. I don't have chance to get professional training now but I like to watch the matches:smile:.And I practice my skills in my sparetime.I'm very amateur,haha.

Lance Amstrong is a legendary athlete,I'm not very familiar with him.I just searched him,he rejoin the match since 2008,so strong.

In China,or at least in my hometown,dancing isn't popular.But I know there are many people in the world dancing.I hope I could get the chance to dance one day:smile:

Hello again. :smile:Listen to the music video's here on PF while doing Muay Thai very slow, by yourself alone, and without boxing gloves. :cool: Try to swing your hips a little bit more and not lift your feet so high off the ground. (tee, hee, ha-ha!) You will then get a feeling what dance is about. (tee hee):smile:
I watched two Muay Thai videos. http://www.thaiboxing.com/ WOW! That is exercise.

Take care. Have fun.

ViewsofMars said:
Hello again. :smile:Listen to the music video's here on PF while doing Muay Thai very slow, by yourself alone, and without boxing gloves. :cool: Try to swing your hips a little bit more and not lift your feet so high off the ground. (tee, hee, ha-ha!) You will then get a feeling what dance is about. (tee hee):smile:
I watched two Muay Thai videos. http://www.thaiboxing.com/ WOW! That is exercise.

Take care. Have fun.

Yar,a nice way to feel it.You can dance by any movements if you feel like dancing,:biggrin:
Thank you for your concern,I will take care of myself.^_^

Look at her, good attitude:

http://www.tonic.com/article/lisa-fisco-50-year-old-olympic-weightlifting-hopeful/

Last edited by a moderator:
[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs064.snc4/34583_418637894490_507599490_4387468_2808306_n.jpg [Broken]
That's me 600ft in the air on the top of a building being built near square one. One of the craziest things I've ever done, I should have BASE jumped from up there :tongue:.

zomgwtf said:
That's me 600ft in the air on the top of a building being built near square one. One of the craziest things I've ever done, I should have BASE jumped from up there :tongue:.

That must be the Marilyn Monroe buildng...
[PLAIN]http://sharkride.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/marilyn-monroe-building-mississauga.jpg [Broken]

That'll be Hwy 403 behind you, looking NW.

Lol yup that's the building.

Todays adventure:
Going to the Honda Indy. With free tickets. Sneaking into the VIP Lounge, eating and drinking the most delicious items there for free and having an extremely close seat to the track.

zomgwtf said:
Lol yup that's the building.

Todays adventure:
Going to the Honda Indy. With free tickets. Sneaking into the VIP Lounge, eating and drinking the most delicious items there for free and having an extremely close seat to the track.

I heard the Indy. From my boat. About 1/4 mile off Lakeshore/Ontario Place. F-18s flew right overhead.

DaveC426913 said:
I heard the Indy. From my boat. About 1/4 mile off Lakeshore/Ontario Place. F-18s flew right overhead.

Oh hey you weren't that far from me and my ears are still adjusting after sitting right beside the track. The F-18s were awesome they flew by twice once at the end of the anthem and again at the start of the race.

They flew pretty low too.
[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs100.ash2/38338_421764873253_504183253_4581380_7538107_n.jpg [Broken]

How close we were situated during the majority of the race.
[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs100.ash2/38338_421764878253_504183253_4581381_2258337_n.jpg [Broken]

Hey! Dave!

Have you ever been to High Park? It's a pretty nice place, went there last night and walked around... kind of sketchy at night time but it was definitely a very nice park I'd suggest to visit :tongue:

While on vacation in Aruba, with prevailing offshore steady winds, the opportunity to take lessons in kite boarding presented itself. After watching the tourists and locals windsurf, I decided that those barely skimming the water on wind surf boards looked lame, I went for kite boarding lessons instead, knowing it would be a "calculated gamble" to to a lung issue and the constricting full vests you are required to wear.

The first two hours you learn kite basics/inflating, line rigging, harness setup (my nemesis), and kite control 10 o'clock to noon to 2 o'clock and back again, getting a feel for a small kite first, then the real one used on the water. I knew right away laying back in the water that when the kite began pulling with over 150 foot pounds of force that I would be unable to expand my lungs against the vest and compression on it from the kite pulling so hard (lung damage issue). See video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV2iJ8TU7ws&feature=related", if you look close when the boarders fly past you will see that they use a small waist harness, whereas while learning you wear a full vest, which puts substantially more compression pressure on your ribcage. I used to rock climb as a kid, and if I used a rock climbing swami belt I would be fine. If I had a small waist harness that would have worked well too, I did not have the luxury as it wasn't allowed by the instructors, so I was stuck with the life robbing vest, nice...

Fast forward to takeoff attempts, I stayed up for a few seconds each attempt, medium offshore wind (10 - 20 kts), I was gradually being pulled offshore at about a 40 degree angle, each time when I wiped out I was able to get less and less air. Finally after a few attempts I could not catch my breath. The instructor said to cut the kite loose which I did, by this time I was almost but not quite in a panic. I was having trouble quick releasing the stupid vest, keeping me short of breath was pissed and scared at the same time. Finally, the instructor help cut me loose from it.

I grabbed the kite board and used it for support as I made my way to shore, gasping to breathe. The instructor heard my raspy breathing. She did not realize I was in as bad a state as I was even though I told her if pulled hard by the kite could cause me to lose the ability to get enough oxygen. The stupid full vest put the nail in the coffin, so to speak.

I knew all of this going into the lessons, and may have pushed the envelope, the small harness probably would have kept me out of trouble and I am told that once you become proficient many ride without a harness. I may try again some time on vacation, but with different waist gear to attach to the kite. We have wind near where I live but only one day in ten or so is offshore and good for kite boarding so, it is not a mecca as it is in Aruba.

Rhody... who almost became "Kite Board Kill", lol

PS. How not to kitesurf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI1VEdm12nc". This is a bit scary, but he appears unscathed at the end. I never got into this predicament, glad I didn't.

zomgwtf said:
Hey! Dave!

Have you ever been to High Park? It's a pretty nice place, went there last night and walked around... kind of sketchy at night time but it was definitely a very nice park I'd suggest to visit :tongue:

Strange I must have missed this update a month ago...

I went to High Park a fair bit when young and as a teen. I guess it's been years since I've actually been actually on the grounds, (though I drive down Parkside every day coming home from work).

It is a very nice walk. Some back woods trails, some paths by Grenadier pond, even a zoolet :uhh:.

I run an outdoor adventure group... Does that count? :)

<h2>1. What is considered "middle age"?</h2><p>Middle age is typically defined as the period of life between young adulthood and old age, usually between the ages of 40 and 65.</p><h2>2. Why is it important to break comfort zones during middle age?</h2><p>Breaking comfort zones during middle age is important because it allows individuals to continue growing and learning, which can lead to a more fulfilling and satisfying life. It also helps to prevent stagnation and complacency, which can lead to mental and emotional decline.</p><h2>3. What are some common comfort zones that people may need to break during middle age?</h2><p>Some common comfort zones that people may need to break during middle age include staying in the same job or career, living in the same place, and maintaining the same routine. Other comfort zones may include avoiding new experiences or challenges, and clinging to familiar relationships.</p><h2>4. What are some potential benefits of starting new adventures during middle age?</h2><p>Starting new adventures during middle age can bring a sense of excitement and purpose to life. It can also help individuals to develop new skills and interests, build confidence and resilience, and expand their social circle.</p><h2>5. How can someone break out of their comfort zone during middle age?</h2><p>Breaking out of a comfort zone during middle age can be achieved by setting new goals and challenging oneself, trying new activities or hobbies, traveling to new places, and seeking out new social connections. It may also involve letting go of old habits or beliefs that may be holding one back.</p>

1. What is considered "middle age"?

Middle age is typically defined as the period of life between young adulthood and old age, usually between the ages of 40 and 65.

2. Why is it important to break comfort zones during middle age?

Breaking comfort zones during middle age is important because it allows individuals to continue growing and learning, which can lead to a more fulfilling and satisfying life. It also helps to prevent stagnation and complacency, which can lead to mental and emotional decline.

3. What are some common comfort zones that people may need to break during middle age?

Some common comfort zones that people may need to break during middle age include staying in the same job or career, living in the same place, and maintaining the same routine. Other comfort zones may include avoiding new experiences or challenges, and clinging to familiar relationships.

4. What are some potential benefits of starting new adventures during middle age?

Starting new adventures during middle age can bring a sense of excitement and purpose to life. It can also help individuals to develop new skills and interests, build confidence and resilience, and expand their social circle.

5. How can someone break out of their comfort zone during middle age?

Breaking out of a comfort zone during middle age can be achieved by setting new goals and challenging oneself, trying new activities or hobbies, traveling to new places, and seeking out new social connections. It may also involve letting go of old habits or beliefs that may be holding one back.

Back