Should Freshmen in Chemical Engineering Take Physics with Calc I?

In summary, it would be unwise to take Physics 205 alongside Calc I in your case, but you should talk to your advisor to see if you can still take the course.
Null_
I'm going to be a freshman in chemical engineering this fall. I'm not supposed to take physics until the spring semester, since we take it with Calc II. However, I technically can place out of calc I from my AP score. I'm not going to do this, because I don't feel that I have a strong enough foundation. Would it be unwise to take Physics 205 alongside Calc I in my case?

My school has a weird way of setting it up...we take Physics I in the spring semester of first year then Physics II in the spring semester of the second year. I want to take them with no break in between. I do have space in my schedule to take it in this coming semester. I'm strongly considering a physics minor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Null_ said:
I'm going to be a freshman in chemical engineering this fall. I'm not supposed to take physics until the spring semester, since we take it with Calc II. However, I technically can place out of calc I from my AP score. I'm not going to do this, because I don't feel that I have a strong enough foundation. Would it be unwise to take Physics 205 alongside Calc I in my case?

My school has a weird way of setting it up...we take Physics I in the spring semester of first year then Physics II in the spring semester of the second year. I want to take them with no break in between. I do have space in my schedule to take it in this coming semester. I'm strongly considering a physics minor.

You need to talk to your academic advisor, or who ever they have assigned to advice incoming ChE freshmen at your school. He/she is the best person to know the requirements of each courses, and if you are equipped to take such courses. I would also ask about taking the courses consequently, because that advisor would know why the scheduling is that "weird".

Make use of your academic advisor. He/she has been paid to answer the very questions you are asking here, and knows a lot more about you and the school's requirement than we do.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You need to talk to your academic advisor, or who ever they have assigned to advice incoming ChE freshmen at your school. He/she is the best person to know the requirements of each courses, and if you are equipped to take such courses. I would also ask about taking the courses consequently, because that advisor would know why the scheduling is that "weird".

Make use of your academic advisor. He/she has been paid to answer the very questions you are asking here, and knows a lot more about you and the school's requirement than we do.

Zz.

Ok, I haven't gone to orientation yet (when we set up classes)..I do that next week. They've already given me a tentative schedule, and it has Calc II and Physics I in it. Thanks!

What are some tips for creating a successful fall schedule?

1. Start early: Begin planning your schedule as soon as possible to have more time to make adjustments and avoid last-minute stress.

2. Prioritize your classes: Make a list of your required courses and rank them in order of importance to ensure you get into the classes you need.

3. Consider your workload: Be realistic about how many credits you can handle and balance challenging courses with easier ones.

4. Take advantage of resources: Meet with your academic advisor and use online tools to help you choose classes that align with your academic and career goals.

5. Be flexible: Have backup options in case your desired classes are full and be open to taking classes at different times or with different professors.