Advice about preparing xanthates

• Thread starter chem_tr
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is planning to synthesize a xanthate derivative using an alcohol and carbon disulfide, and needs advice about using NaH and experimental details for the reaction. They will also be looking for additional information on the Organic Syntheses Website. The use of NaH as a reagent is discussed, with instructions for proper handling and potential issues with the mineral oil dispersion. The Chugaev reaction is suggested as a possible method, but the individual decides to use an alkyl halide derivative instead of an acyl halide. The use of SOCl2 or PBr3 to exchange the alcohol for a halide is discussed, along with the potential use of NaBH4 + I2 or LiAlH4
chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello, I'm planning to synthesize a xanthate derivative from an alcohol and carbon disulfide. I will probably need to use sodium hydride to facilitate addition to the double bond, and I need advice about using NaH, and if possible, some experimental details about the reaction. I will look for Organic Syntheses Website for additional information, but your comments are also important for me.

Thank you

my 200thmessage :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
NaH is a really nice reagent to use, although it is sometimes a little unpredictable (not in a dangerous way). Typically you get it as a 60% dispersion in mineral oil. That means that when you weigh it out only 60% of the weight is actually NaH, so adjust your calculations accordingly. Make sure that the NaH is a greyish color. If it's white it's probably no good. One other caveat to the mineral oil dispersion, depending on your solvent, you may need to wash the oil away with some hexanes. I've never had to do this myself though. If you're running your reaction in THF, then that is usually good enough to use without washing the NaH.

A typical procedure for using NaH would be something like this:

A mixture of NaH (88.0 mg, 2.2 mmol) was stirred in THF (3 mL) for 30 mins and then cooled to 0 degrees C. To the resulting slurry was added a solution of [amide] (2.0 mmol) in THF (1 mL). The resulting mixture was stirred at 0 degrees for 15 mins, then warmed to r.t. and stirred an additional 45 mins, and finally quenched with an appropriate electrophile.

You might not need to stir for that long since alcohols are more acidic than amides.

You should look up the Chugaev reaction, as that is what I assume you are doing. Check out this link: http://themerckindex.cambridgesoft.com/TheMerckIndex/NameReactions/onr74.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
What about an acyl chloride?

Hello, I've been thinking of an acyl chloride now, as it is available, unlike the alkyl chloride of the reagent I'm planning. Movies, I'm waiting for your comments especially about the feasibility of the reaction, but other members are very welcome for any contributions. Please view www.students.itu.edu.tr/~akkurtb/misc/ksantat_acil_klorur.zip[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
That reaction would probably happen as you have it drawn. The product would be very unstable though, since it is essentially an anhydride. There is a very real possiblity that you wouldn't be able to isolate that product.

You are right, Movies, it seems that I will have to find the alkyl halide derivative instead of synthesizing the acyl halide. The xanthate ester (with alkyl halide) is said to be stable up to several hundred degrees. It is better for me to pursue it in this way. Thank you for your kind suggestion.

If you can make that acid chloride (or ester or acid) then you should be able to reduce it to the alcohol and then exchange the alcohol for a halide with SOCl2 or PBr3.

With [itex]NaBH_4[/itex] or [itex]LiAlH_4[/itex] and so on, right? Exchange with [itex]SOCl_2[/itex] is an easy one, I've done this several times before. Actually, I have the acid on hand. Do acids give alcohols easily with these reagents? For example, may I use aqueous [itex]NaBH_4[/itex]?

NaBH4 isn't strong enough to reduce acids, usually. LiAlH4 can though. You might also try NaBH4 + I2, that can reduce acids but no one knows why it is so much more powerful than NaBH4 alone.

Here is a reference for the activated NaBH4: J. Org. Chem. 1993, 58, 3568-3571.

It possibly involves radicalic mechanism. Thank you for the reference, I'll read it. I didn't want to use [itex]LiAlH_4[/itex], since it is a "violent" reactant. But I can use it too.

1. What are xanthates and how are they used?

Xanthates are chemical compounds that are widely used in various industries, including mining, rubber production, and water treatment. They are typically used as reagents or collectors in the flotation process to separate valuable minerals from ore.

2. What are the safety considerations when working with xanthates?

Xanthates are corrosive and can cause irritation or burns to the skin and eyes. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when handling xanthates. They should also be stored and handled in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhalation of fumes.

3. How should xanthates be prepared for use?

Xanthates should be prepared in a well-ventilated area to avoid exposure to fumes. They are typically dissolved in water to create a solution for use in the desired process. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions for preparing xanthates to ensure their effectiveness and safety.

4. Are there any precautions to take when storing xanthates?

Xanthates should be stored in a cool, dry place away from sources of heat or ignition. They should also be kept separate from other chemicals to avoid any potential reactions. It is important to label xanthates clearly and store them in their original containers to avoid confusion.

5. How can I dispose of xanthates safely?

Xanthates should be disposed of according to local regulations and guidelines. Typically, they should be neutralized with an appropriate reagent and then diluted before being disposed of in a designated hazardous waste facility. It is important to never dispose of xanthates down the drain or in regular trash.