Is a Major in Physics and Chemistry the Right Choice for Me?

• Thread starter RoBrotV
  • Start date
In summary, the individual wants to major in physics and/or chemistry and is seeking advice on how to incorporate both subjects equally in college. They also have questions about taking English/History classes and potential job options with a bachelor's degree in either subject. They express interest in becoming a chemistry teacher and ask about double-majoring in both subjects. They also inquire about taking classes at a community college while enrolled in a 4-year university. They receive advice on the differences between physics and chemistry majors and the possibility of taking classes at a community college while enrolled in a university.
RoBrotV
Like most people on these forums, I want to major in physics and/or chemistry. I'm in high school and I would very much like to learn everything there is to know about both subjects. That of course is not possible, therefore i want to peruse a major that incorporates physics and chemistry equally.

I live in Southern California and i understand that its not the college that I go to that defines me, but how I take advantage of the resources around me. I had a few questions regarding a physics/chemistry major in college.

Is there a way to take chemistry and physics classes in college equally?

Do i have to take English/History classes?

What are some realistic jobs I can get with a bachelors degree in chemistry or physics? in order to be able to pay for college as I work towards a masters degree?

if i am applying to a college as a this major, will a B or C in English on my transcript hurt me?

I want to become a chemistry teacher in a college or in a high school after i get my masters degree. is this a smart choice? I look up to my science teachers and the hard working teachers in other schools because I think that being science teacher is ultimately the most respectable job.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the general and program requirements for physics and chemistry majors. You can double-major in chemistry and physics if you want. However, double-majoring physics with anything else besides math is going to be pretty demanding. Physics majors commonly double-major in math because the math courses required in their physics program count toward the math major.

Do i have to take English/History classes?

You're going to have to take some 'arts'/complementary studies electives.

It wouldn't hurt to have a strong grasp on english -- unlike myself.

Especially if you want to be a teacher.

Shackleford said:
Look at the general and program requirements for physics and chemistry majors. You can double-major in chemistry and physics if you want. However, double-majoring physics with anything else besides math is going to be pretty demanding. Physics majors commonly double-major in math because the math courses required in their physics program count toward the math major.

So if one double majors in the right college with math and physics, I can work toward two degrees simultaneously?

(Well, I think that majoring in physics must involve chemistry classes here and there.
I wish I could ask my counselor these questions but, she's been out for the last couple of weeks. )

Thanks for the advice.

RoBrotV said:
So if one double majors in the right college with math and physics, I can work toward two degrees simultaneously?

(Well, I think that majoring in physics must involve chemistry classes here and there.
I wish I could ask my counselor these questions but, she's been out for the last couple of weeks. )

Thanks for the advice.

Majoring in physics does not require chemistry courses beyond the one or two general inorganic chemistry courses. They are very different majors. Chemistry is essentially applied physics derived from quantum mechanics. The math required in physics is well-beyond that required for a chemistry degree. However, if you thoroughly enjoy both subjects, then go for it.

Shackleford said:
Majoring in physics does not require chemistry courses beyond the one or two general inorganic chemistry courses. They are very different majors. Chemistry is essentially applied physics derived from quantum mechanics. The math required in physics is well-beyond that required for a chemistry degree. However, if you thoroughly enjoy both subjects, then go for it.

That is a dilemma. Physics is basically math. (from what I have seen in high school AP and non AP)
I think I'll sway toward the physics major...

Not sure If you would know the answer to my question, but could I enroll in a community college while in a 4 year university? To take classes not for my degree but just out of interest. My teacher did that in another country, not sure if I can do it in the US.

RoBrotV said:
That is a dilemma. Physics is basically math. (from what I have seen in high school AP and non AP)
I think I'll sway toward the physics major...

Not sure If you would know the answer to my question, but could I enroll in a community college while in a 4 year university? To take classes not for my degree but just out of interest. My teacher did that in another country, not sure if I can do it in the US.

Physics is not basically math. Math is the quantitative language of physics, though, but they are not the same thing.

You can take any class just for the hell of it assuming you have the prerequisites. However, most if not all universities only allow you to transfer so many courses/credit hours from a junior college/community college to their university towards a particular degree.

Shackleford said:
Physics is not basically math. Math is the quantitative language of physics, though, but they are not the same thing.

You can take any class just for the hell of it assuming you have the prerequisites. However, most if not all universities only allow you to transfer so many courses/credit hours from a junior college/community college to their university towards a particular degree.

That is very well put. Math is the language of physics. :]

I'll need some time to think about which major to choose.

The community college study seems like a good way to learn about chemistry while taking physics. Not sure how practical it would be, but i'll give it a try if i decide physics. :]

Thanks again for the advice.

I know you asked about UCI in another thread. My first degree was from UCLA and now I am at UCI. I know that at least inboth schools, you are not allowed to take classes at the same time as you are taking classes at those campuses. What I mean by not allowed, I mean if you want to transfer the credit from the CC they won't let you transfer it over unless you asked permission from the UC campus first.

Of course you can enroll wherever you want, UCI or UCLA isn't going to kick you out if you do, they may just ot accepted your units if you enroll at UCI and at a CC at the same time. Of course you can take classes at a CC over the summer when you are not enrolled in a UC and you can transfer the classes in, the issue just lies when you take classes at the exact same time and you don't get permission first.

BTW, for what its worth. My first degree was in the social sciences. I certainly do not regret having had that education. In fact, after talking to some fellow physics majors it amazes me how ignorant SOME of them are when it comes to the world outside of physics. Hearing some physics majors talk about social issues or psychology must sound like sociology majors talking about problems in physics.

I would take full advantage of your GE education and learn as much as you can about all facets of life, not just physics and chem.

hitmeoff said:
I know you asked about UCI in another thread. My first degree was from UCLA and now I am at UCI. I know that at least inboth schools, you are not allowed to take classes at the same time as you are taking classes at those campuses. What I mean by not allowed, I mean if you want to transfer the credit from the CC they won't let you transfer it over unless you asked permission from the UC campus first.

Of course you can enroll wherever you want, UCI or UCLA isn't going to kick you out if you do, they may just ot accepted your units if you enroll at UCI and at a CC at the same time. Of course you can take classes at a CC over the summer when you are not enrolled in a UC and you can transfer the classes in, the issue just lies when you take classes at the exact same time and you don't get permission first.

Is it a common thing to take classes at a CC at the same time as classes in UCI?

Although I've never come across someone who does take classes at a CC and a Uni at the same time, I am pretty sure it does happen.

Question: Why do you want to take chemistry at a CC so bad?

If its because you think chem will be easier at a CC than at a Uni, I wouldn't count on it. Not sure what Chem classes at like at IVC (the Irvine CC), I do know that Chem class at GWC and OCC (the other nearby community colleges in Orange County) are no joke and are every bit as hard if not harder than at UCI.

Also consider this: Chem courses with lab usually take up ALOT of class time. I am not sure how feasible its going to be to take a chem class and lab at a CC then drive back to the Uni to take care of your other 3 classes. I used to work at OCC as a tutor while attending UCI and driving back and fourth between campuses was not fun at all.

hitmeoff said:
Although I've never come across someone who does take classes at a CC and a Uni at the same time, I am pretty sure it does happen.

Question: Why do you want to take chemistry at a CC so bad?

If its because you think chem will be easier at a CC than at a Uni, I wouldn't count on it. Not sure what Chem classes at like at IVC (the Irvine CC), I do know that Chem class at GWC and OCC (the other nearby community colleges in Orange County) are no joke and are every bit as hard if not harder than at UCI.

Also consider this: Chem courses with lab usually take up ALOT of class time. I am not sure how feasible its going to be to take a chem class and lab at a CC then drive back to the Uni to take care of your other 3 classes. I used to work at OCC as a tutor while attending UCI and driving back and fourth between campuses was not fun at all.

I agree that they are just as difficult as classes at any other university.

Chem at a CC would be an opportunity to see if I can handle both classes and see if I like college chemistry enough to pursue it more without risking my GPA or expensive credits at the 4 year college.

It does seem impractical... Maybe by the time I get into a college (hopefully UCI) I'd have decided on one major and that'd simplify things. But I'm not saying I really want to do it, it's just an idea.

RoBrotV said:
I agree that they are just as difficult as classes at any other university.

Chem at a CC would be an opportunity to see if I can handle both classes and see if I like college chemistry enough to pursue it more without risking my GPA or expensive credits at the 4 year college.

It does seem impractical... Maybe by the time I get into a college (hopefully UCI) I'd have decided on one major and that'd simplify things. But I'm not saying I really want to do it, it's just an idea.

I understand the concern. You can always drop a course by the 6th week (the middle of the quarter) if it gets too difficult and it won't affect your GPA and won't even show up on your transcript. I think a lot of people will agree that although your first real introduction to physics and chem classes might be a rough, its certainly very doable. Of course taking Physics, Chem Math AND some GE class may be a bit of a load for the first time student, it is possible to do it and do it well. Anything beyond that for a college newbie will certainly be pushing it though.

Plus realize that once you enroll in 12 quarter units (full time status, about 3 classes) at a UC, you pay a flat fee (you either pay half time status money or full time status money) So taking more units above and beyond the 12 unit minimum doesn't cost you any more money. However at a CC, you do pay by the unit. So taking 3 classes at UCI plus taking a class at a CC will actually be more expensive than taking all 4 at UCI.

Look into combined degree programs. I don't know about UCI, but my major is Chemical Physics, which is something of a different subject but one that incorporates aspects of both fields: using an understanding of physics to address problems in chemistry from a very fundamental perspective.

Edit: If that doesn't exist, something like a major in physics and a minor in chemistry, with your physics electives leaning heavily towards quantum, thermo, and stat mech, would be a pretty good approximation.

I know a few people, including one professor at my school, who have done a physics/chemistry double major (also, my advisor has a PhD in physics and is now a professor in the chemistry department, so there are many opportunities for crossover between physics and chemistry). I would also suggest looking into combined degree programs such as a chemical physics program (if available).

Most chemistry majors would typically have some quarters/semesters where they take fairly rigorous chemistry, physics and math classes at the same time (along with other general education classes), so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The introductory courses for chemistry and physics majors are generally fairly similar. They likely have most of the same physics, math and general chemistry courses. The major difference would be that the chemistry route would require organic chemistry while the physics route would not.

Of course taking Physics, Chem Math AND some GE class may be a bit of a load for the first time student, it is possible to do it and do it well. Anything beyond that for a college newbie will certainly be pushing it though.

*cough* first year engineering *cough*

1. What is the job market like for graduates with a major in Physics and Chemistry?

The job market for graduates with a major in Physics and Chemistry is quite diverse. Graduates often find employment in a variety of industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, energy, materials science, and technology. Additionally, many graduates go on to pursue advanced degrees in fields such as medicine, engineering, and research.

2. What skills will I develop with a major in Physics and Chemistry?

A major in Physics and Chemistry will provide you with a strong foundation in scientific principles and critical thinking skills. You will also develop skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and laboratory techniques. These skills are highly valued in a wide range of industries and can be applied to various career paths.

3. Is a major in Physics and Chemistry a good choice for someone interested in research?

Yes, a major in Physics and Chemistry is a great choice for those interested in research. The fields of physics and chemistry are constantly evolving and offer many opportunities for research projects and collaborations. With a strong foundation in these subjects, you will be well-equipped to pursue advanced research in a variety of areas.

4. Will a major in Physics and Chemistry be challenging?

Yes, a major in Physics and Chemistry can be challenging. These fields require a strong understanding of math and science, and the coursework can be rigorous. However, with dedication and hard work, many students find the challenges to be rewarding and fulfilling.

5. What types of jobs can I get with a major in Physics and Chemistry?

Graduates with a major in Physics and Chemistry have a variety of career options, including roles in research, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, materials science, and technology. Some specific job titles may include research scientist, chemist, physicist, data analyst, or science teacher. With further education and experience, you can also pursue careers in fields such as engineering, medicine, and academia.