Advice for 8th standard student

1. Hello,
    I study in the 8th standard and am a fanatic about maths and physics. My knowledge in Math is upto Partial Differential Equations and I know physics upto Halliday-Resnick level.
    I dont know how to progress further. Could anybody please help ?

2. jcsd
  3. Would somebody please give me some good suggestions? I am in real need of Help!!

4. hhhmmm, maybe you should study Partial Differential Equations.

5. Please could you state fully what math you know.

After Halliday and Resnick you should study intermediate classical mechanics and electromagnetics. For the former I recommend "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. I cannot recommend an electromagnetics book, I used Griffiths' "Introduction to Electrodynamics" as an undergrad, and it is by far the most popular book, but I have never liked it. On the other hand, owing to its popularity, you can probably find a used copy for a good price.

For your information, the math an undergrad physics student should know by the time he or she graduates is, in approximate order:

Single- and multi-variable calculus
    Linear algebra
    Ordinary differential equations
    Partial differential equations
    Complex analysis
    And if you have a tolerance for math, Differential geometry.

A book you can study with profit is: "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas

6. thrill3rnit3

thrill3rnit3 712
    Gold Member

Sorry for being an idiot, but what the hell is an 8th standard student? Is that the same as being an 8th grader [ here in the U.S. ] ?

Again, I am sorry for my ignorance, but I just had to ask that question :blushing:

7. Yup dude! :-)

8. Yes, thrill3rnit3 , it is the same as 8th grader (As in the U.s.).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook