Advice for an EE grad intrested in physics

In summary, if you want to increase your chances of getting into a better graduate school, reach out to professors, apply for internships or research assistantships, find ways to demonstrate your commitment and skills, and highlight your self-study and relevant experience.In summary, the individual has a degree in electrical engineering but is interested in pursuing physics in graduate school. However, they lack research experience and are unsure of how to acquire it. They have been self-studying in physics and have taken the Physics GRE, but are looking for advice on how to increase their chances of getting into a better graduate school. Suggestions include reaching out to professors, applying for internships or research assistantships, finding ways to demonstrate commitment and skills in physics, and highlighting
MisterX
I have a degree in electrical engineering, but I would like the opportunity to do physics in graduate school. A significant issue I have encountered is that I have no research experience, and seemingly no way to acquire it. It seems these opportunities are just for undergraduates; it seems there are typically enough undergrads to fill all available positions, and they will not take on an un-enrolled student instead of an undergrad. I would like to have a chance at getting into one of the better graduate schools, but lately I maybe get some feeling of futility. I’d have to be applying by around December this year.

Part of my story:
I got a good GPA in college but I may have graduated before I was ready. Out of college I had wanted to get a job of the kind that might look better to graduate schools – something that might involve physics or some of the more advanced things I learned in school. But, I didn’t get the positions that came even somewhat close to that. It seemed that even if I had gotten one of these better positions for which I interviewed, I wasn’t going to work my way into a career that I wanted. I was having increasing emotional issues related to my career and eventually I stopped interviewing completely. I was being supported by my parents at this time. After some time, I began to seriously self-study in a way I really hadn't before. Initially it was quantum physics, but I have been studying other subjects in physics in math. I found a way to take physics courses a university without being in a degree program. So far I have done well, and I may be a far better student now than I ever have been. I also took the Physics GRE, and did acceptably (790) considering I have never taken courses in thermal physics or quantum mechanics. If I come understand what a Boltzmann distribution is (among other things), I think I would be able to do significantly better.

Anyway, I’d appreciate any advice for possibly finding a research position or otherwise increasing my chances of getting into a better graduate school. Also I’d like to know what would be realistic for me, considering my resume is lacking and also some dark spots in my past. In spite of these things I think I may be worthy of an opportunity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you could do to increase your chances of getting into a better graduate school is to reach out to professors at those schools and express your interest in their research. It is important for you to explain to them your background and why you believe you would be a suitable candidate for their program. You might also consider applying for internships or research assistantships at the universities you are interested in. These positions can give you invaluable experience and insight into the world of research, while also giving you the opportunity to build relationships with faculty members. Additionally, you should try to find ways to demonstrate your commitment and skills in physics. This could include attending conferences, participating in online courses, reading relevant journals and books, and taking any additional classes that may help your application. Participating in volunteer or outreach activities related to physics can also be a great way to show your enthusiasm and dedication to the field. Finally, make sure to emphasize the experience that you do have on your resume and in your personal statement. Don't be shy about showcasing your self-study, as well as any other relevant experience you may have. Showing that you have taken initiative and pursued opportunities to expand your understanding of the field can go a long way in demonstrating your commitment and willingness to learn.

1. How important is programming knowledge for a career in physics as an EE graduate?

Programming knowledge is becoming increasingly important in the field of physics, especially for EE graduates. With the rise of data analysis and computational techniques in research, having strong programming skills will make you a more competitive candidate for jobs and graduate programs. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of at least one programming language, such as Python or MATLAB, and to continually develop your skills in this area.

2. Can an EE graduate pursue a career in physics without a graduate degree?

While a graduate degree is typically required for most research positions in physics, there are still opportunities for EE graduates to work in the field without one. Many companies hire EE graduates for roles in research and development, engineering, and data analysis. Additionally, some research labs and organizations offer positions for individuals with a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field.

3. How can an EE graduate gain experience in physics if they did not major in it?

There are several ways an EE graduate can gain experience in physics, even if they did not major in the subject. One option is to take courses or attend workshops in physics, either at a local university or through online platforms. Another option is to participate in research projects or internships related to physics, which can provide hands-on experience and valuable skills. Additionally, self-study and reading books or articles on physics topics can also help an EE graduate gain knowledge and understanding in the field.

4. Are there specific areas of physics that are more relevant for EE graduates?

As an EE graduate, you may find that certain areas of physics are more relevant to your background and skillset. These may include fields such as electromagnetism, electronics, and quantum mechanics. However, it is important to explore different areas of physics and find what interests you the most, as any specialization within the field can lead to a successful career.

5. What skills from an EE degree are transferable to a career in physics?

An EE degree provides a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, which are all highly applicable to a career in physics. Additionally, knowledge in areas such as circuit design, signal processing, and data analysis can also be beneficial. Communication skills, both written and verbal, are also important in both fields, as well as the ability to work independently and in a team.