Advice for Entering Biochem MSc./PhD after Phys. BSc.?

In summary: Overall, it's important to do your research and find a program that aligns with your interests and goals.In summary, if you have a physics background and are interested in pursuing a biochemistry grad school program, it may be beneficial to do prior coursework to catch up on relevant topics and take specialized courses related to your interests. Having a physics background can provide a unique perspective and skills for problem-solving. When looking for specific grad schools, do thorough research on the research interests and courses offered to find the right fit for you.
ecneicScience
I have a BSc. Honours Physics degree and I have summer research experience in Biophysics and Computational Chemistry. I want to enter a grad school program where I may use the basic physics that I've acquired throughout my undergrad degree, but where the focus is around biological function. The truth is that I feel I've taken enough physics courses in my life. I'm specifically interested in genomics as well as computationally modelling biomolecules, which has lead me to look at Biochemistry programs.

To anyone that is entered a biochemistry program (or any other interdisciplinary program) from a physics degree, did you do prior coursework to catch up? Did you feel like you were disadvantaged? Was there anything beneficial about having a physics background? Any recommendations for biochemistry grad schools that welcome physics backgrounds?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would definitely recommend doing prior coursework to catch up if you feel you need more knowledge in the areas relevant to the program you're aiming for. It is likely that there will be topics in biochemistry which you haven't covered in your physics degree, and having a good understanding of the fundamentals of biochemistry can be very helpful. It could also be beneficial to take specialized courses related to the specific area that you're interested in such as genomics or computational modelling. This way, you could demonstrate your commitment and interest in the field.In terms of the advantages of having a physics background, it may help you to approach problems from a different perspective than other students. Physics is highly analytical and mathematical, so a physics degree could help you to think outside of the box when tackling problems. Additionally, having experience in experimental techniques used in physics might give you an edge in the lab.As for specific recommendations for biochemistry grad schools, I would suggest looking at the research interests of professors at different universities and contacting them to get more information about their programs. Some universities may have interdisciplinary programs which combine physics and biochemistry. You can also look into individual courses offered at each school to see if they match what you're looking for.

1. What is the typical timeline for completing a biochemistry MSc./PhD after a physics BSc.?

The timeline for completing a biochemistry MSc./PhD after a physics BSc. can vary depending on the individual and the program they are enrolled in. However, on average, a MSc. program can take 2-3 years to complete and a PhD program can take 4-6 years.

2. What are the admission requirements for a biochemistry MSc./PhD program?

The admission requirements for a biochemistry MSc./PhD program may vary depending on the university and program. Generally, a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics, is required. Other requirements may include letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and a minimum GPA.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in biochemistry before entering a biochemistry MSc./PhD program?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in biochemistry before entering a biochemistry MSc./PhD program. Many programs offer courses to bridge the gap between different disciplines and provide the necessary background knowledge.

4. What kind of research opportunities are available in a biochemistry MSc./PhD program?

In a biochemistry MSc./PhD program, there are various research opportunities available in areas such as protein structure and function, enzymology, molecular biology, and bioinformatics. Students may also have the opportunity to work on interdisciplinary projects and collaborate with other departments.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing a biochemistry MSc./PhD program?

Completing a biochemistry MSc./PhD program opens up a wide range of career opportunities in both academia and industry. Graduates can pursue careers as research scientists, professors, consultants, and more. They may also have the opportunity to work in pharmaceutical, biotech, or medical device companies.