1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice for fall classes

1. Aug 22, 2010 #1
    So i just transfered to university and im taking thermo, physics 3, a lib ed and was thinkin about takin this applied fourier analysis course. Im just wondering if it sounds like a good idea or should i wait for a few semesters to take it so i'll actually be using it in my classes. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2
    no one has any suggestions? im only asking because i would rather speak with peers or the scientists on this sight because my advisors are everything but physics majors

4. Aug 22, 2010 #3
    Fourier analysis is pretty important and with only 3 current classes picking up an additional one should not be too bad.

In the end it's up to you everyone else can only offer advice.

5. Aug 22, 2010 #4
    if you havent taken ordinary or partial differ eq, i cant imagine applied fourier analysis being very useful...

you can always drop the class though

6. Aug 22, 2010 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems it wouldn't be a heavy load to take it. On the other hand...since it's your first term at a university, it might be best to take a very easy load, to ease the adjustment.

So I'd say, if you think it's going to be a tough adjustment transferring to a new school (i.e., if you're moving far from home for the first time), then maybe it would be best to wait. But if you think the adjustment will be easy, go for it and take the class.

It's an such an important subject, I wish my university had offered a class just in Fourier analysis...we had to learn it on the fly. Good luck!

7. Aug 22, 2010 #6
    ok, one more thing. I have already taken ODE, calc 3, and linear algebra. so i think i am sufficiently prepared, but as a physics major, is fourier analysis going to significantly useful? or would it just be something i rarely use?

8. Aug 23, 2010 #7
    Not many areas where you don't encounter Fourier analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook