Advice for [frightened] Undergraduate

In summary, as a Mechanical Engineering student embarking on your undergraduate career, it is recommended to be prepared to work hard and develop a good relationship with your professors. It is also advised to aim for excellence and consider taking on side projects. While some may experience drastic changes, others may find the transition to be similar to high school. It is important to not be afraid and to take advantage of opportunities for growth, such as dual majoring in another subject. Additionally, joining a reading group can be beneficial in making friends and staying motivated. Overall, don't be afraid and work hard to achieve success.
dekoi
I'm beginning my undergraduate career, as a Mechanical Engineer.

Please provide some helpful suggestions in any area of my soon-to-be drastically changed life.

o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are beginning a career while still an undergraduate?

the poster wrote "undergraduate career."

Simplely be ready to start homework and study on thursday, through friday, sat and sunday. Get real cozy with your teachers by showing passions so when you apply for a research assistantship it'll be easier to get a job. Never shoot for less than a 4.0. Develop a side project to develop on your own time.

That's my advice.

Plenty of hard work, effort, enthusiasm, and you'll be fine.

You'll soon learn to adapt to 2 hours sleep per night, 9am hungover starts etc. Good luck!

The whole experience isn't all it's cracked up to be.

In my experience, there were no drastic changes. Some people may have had to adapt to 2 hours of sleep, or may have had to do homework Thursday through to Sunday, but I found it was not much harder than high school. If you're going to U of T (I notice you live in Toronto), you might have a civil engineering course that requires you to do an assignment and a quiz every week, and so the work load is slightly greater there than an average high school course, on the other hand, you might have a course like my algebra course which only consisted of 3 term tests and a final, the term tests requiring a weekend of studying each, the final requiring 4 days, and never did you need to go to lecture or tutorial. On the whole, there might be a little more work, the pace is a little faster, etc. but nothing drastic. Are you going to U of T by the way? I took Eng. Sci. first year, and all the threats of drastic changes and piles of incredibly difficult homework, etc. were just empty threats. Rather than saying you will or will not encounter drastic changes, I would say that it might be smart to be prepared for such changes, but don't expect them, and certainly don't worry about them.

don't be afraid. as my colleague in the meat lugging business said to me about our common boss, an enormous man named marcus: "marcus is just a man like me."

the same is true of your professors and fellow students. all are equal. go for it.

Dual major in ME and Pure Math. You will get so much love... :!)

No, just switch to physics before it's too late.

Haha, just kidding. Seriously, though, good luck. Work hard and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Just finished my first year and was terrified before starting, it took a bit of time getting into the rythm, seeing as how i never really had to do homework in high school (workload wasn't that great so usually just showing up to class and finishing the work there was enough) So having to actually work hard to get decent grades was new, but the upside is that you'll (hopefully) be learning stuff you really enjoy and that makes all the difference, I've found myself sitting at home on a friday night reading books etc which would've never happened in high school.

My only advice really would be to get a reading group, find some people you like that are taking the same classes as you.

#1 you'll make friends which always makes it easier to be in school

#2 Having a commitment to meet up and read at least helps me a lot with doing homework, I'm less motivated if I'm just sitting home

#3 you'll see that you're not the only one who finds it hard and has problems learning the things, it sucks thinking you're the only guy (or girl) not picking everything up right away.

Lots of other benefits but those are the main ones that helped me at least.

1. How can I manage my fear and anxiety as an undergraduate?

Fear and anxiety are common emotions for undergraduates, especially when faced with academic challenges. It's important to remember that these emotions are normal and can actually be beneficial in motivating you to succeed. However, if your fear and anxiety are overwhelming, consider seeking support from a counselor or therapist. Additionally, practicing stress-management techniques such as deep breathing, exercise, and mindfulness can help you cope with these emotions.

2. How can I balance my academic workload and extracurricular activities?

Finding a balance between academic responsibilities and extracurricular activities can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize your time and energy. Start by creating a schedule and setting realistic goals for each week. Don't be afraid to say no to activities that may interfere with your academic success. Also, remember to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.

3. How can I choose the right major for me?

Choosing a major can be a daunting decision, but it's important to remember that it's not permanent. Take the time to explore different subjects and courses to see what interests you. You can also talk to academic advisors and professors for guidance. Remember, it's okay to change your major if you find that it's not the right fit for you.

4. How can I build strong relationships with my professors?

Building relationships with your professors can be beneficial for your academic success and future career opportunities. Attend office hours, participate in class discussions, and ask for feedback on assignments. Show a genuine interest in the course material and ask thoughtful questions. Additionally, consider joining a study group or research project to further connect with your professors.

5. How can I make the most out of my undergraduate experience?

Your undergraduate experience is a valuable time for personal and academic growth. Take advantage of opportunities such as internships, study abroad programs, and research projects. Get involved in campus organizations and events to expand your network and gain new skills. Lastly, don't forget to have fun and enjoy the journey!