Advice for making a solenoid.

• Thread starter jacegalvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the group is working on building an autonomous watercraft with a self-expanding debris recovery system for an engineering course. The debris recovery system will use a solenoid to expand a frame made of PVC piping, which will be controlled by a micro-controller. The main question is how to make a powerful solenoid, with options including using a certain core, considering the length of the solenoid, and using mechanical leverage. The team plans to research different solenoid suppliers and also refer to a tutorial on controlling a solenoid with an Arduino microcomputer.
jacegalvin
Hey guys, for my engineering course, we are build an autonomous watercraft with a self expanding debris recovery system.

My job is the debris recovery system, and part of this system basically using a solenoid to expand the system.

The idea is that a frame made of PVC piping, which will have a total length of ~500mm, will rest on the craft and to make it self expand, a solenoid will be used.

I am planning on wiring up the solenoid to our micro-controller and programming the pin to send a short burst of electricity to the solenoid, which will in turn induce a magnetic field around the solenoid of a short period.
There will also be a magnet which will be position on the frame, so that when the solenoid is powered on, the magnetic fields will oppose and it will create a force which will cause the frame to expand.

That was probably really difficult to understand, so if you have any questions about it please ask.

But the main question is, what is the best way to make a powerful solenoid?
Like should i use a certain core and does length of the solenoid matter?
At the moment i have 6 20mm*15mm magnets and a roll of copper wiring.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
And if there are any questions regarding anything, please ask.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That sounds like a fun project. I don't understand what you mean by expand, but it doesn't matter for your question.

Of course, there are many powerful solenoids. You can also likely use mechanical leverage to make your solenoid more effective. The manufacturers supply data sheets telling you how strong their solenoids are, plus the electrical requirements for drivers. Google "solenoid supplier" and you will find many.

As for driving it with a microcomputer, here is a great tutorial
https://www.bc-robotics.com/tutorials/controlling-a-solenoid-valve-with-arduino/

1. How do I choose the right materials for a solenoid?

When selecting materials for a solenoid, consider factors such as the strength of the magnetic field needed, the desired coil resistance, and the temperature and environment the solenoid will be operating in. Commonly used materials include copper wire, iron core, and non-magnetic casing.

2. What is the ideal number of turns for a solenoid?

The number of turns in a solenoid coil will depend on the desired strength of the magnetic field. Generally, a larger number of turns will result in a stronger magnetic field, but also increase the coil's resistance. It is best to experiment and adjust the number of turns based on the specific needs of your solenoid.

3. How do I calculate the magnetic field strength of a solenoid?

The magnetic field strength of a solenoid can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * (N * I) / L, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns, I is the current, and L is the length of the solenoid. Keep in mind that this is an idealized calculation and actual field strength may vary.

4. What is the best way to control the current in a solenoid?

To control the current in a solenoid, you can use a power supply with adjustable voltage and amperage, or a variable resistor. It is important to monitor the current to ensure it does not exceed the maximum recommended for your solenoid, as this can cause overheating and damage to the coil.

5. Can a solenoid be used to generate electricity?

Yes, a solenoid can be used to generate electricity through the process of electromagnetic induction. When a magnet is moved in or out of a solenoid, it creates a current in the coil. This is the principle behind many electrical generators and can be used to power small devices or charge batteries.