What material is best for a novice seeking knowledge about the world around us?

• Thread starter pulsar28
  • Start date
In summary, the person is looking for advice on what type of material would be suitable for them in their quest for knowledge, and they don't want too much math or physics. They are interested in general topics like the comparison between atomic and astro physics and the crossover in patterns of behavior.
pulsar28
Hi, as I become more and more interested in the `stuff` surrounding us, I find myself requiring more information. Can anyone advise me on what material would be suited to me in my quest for knowledge? What I don`t want is loads of mathematical symbols as I have no grounding in physics/chemistry apart from fundamental education. Maybe that would come later. I am fascinated with for example the comparison between atomic and astro physics and the crossover in patterns of behaviour. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have something like a Junior College nearby, where you could take some physics/math/chem/engineering classes?

It might not be a bad idea to find a forum online where you could ask all sorts of science questions and get thoughtful, intelligent, timely answers from thoughtful, intelligent, attractive people.

pulsar28 said:
Hi, as I become more and more interested in the `stuff` surrounding us, I find myself requiring more information. Can anyone advise me on what material would be suited to me in my quest for knowledge? What I don`t want is loads of mathematical symbols as I have no grounding in physics/chemistry apart from fundamental education. Maybe that would come later. I am fascinated with for example the comparison between atomic and astro physics and the crossover in patterns of behaviour. Thanks.

Probably the internet or library. You sound like the type of person that's interested in the "layman" aspects of science, sparing the details (like the mathematics and in-depth understanding). But, not like the general audience, just knowledgeable in the field.

Yes, that sounds about right. I want to know more but to retain my passion for the subject without becoming immersed in formulae and very technical matter. I find that just asking questions in forums such as this one, I seem to answer my own questions and this helps me progress. Thanks.

Since you don't mention what your comfort level is, I would suggest try reading a decent general-audience book, such as:

"One, Two, Three, Infinity", George Gamow
"Mr. Thompkins" (series), also by George Gamow
"Cosmos", Carl Sagan
"Brief history of Time", Stephen Hawking

There are others, no doubt. I would advise you to avoid the 'trendy' ones about strings and "Final Theories", as they are generally not good.

Thanks for that - I will give those titles a look. By the way when you say my comfort level, what exactly do you mean? If it`s what I think you mean, then I think I would be put off by a book full of formulae and mathematical equations. I guess I`m one of those potential sci fi enthusiasts who loves thinking and contemplating, but would find it difficult to make progress faced with difficult calculations. For the moment at least I just want to learn more about the nature of things.

1. What is the best advice for a novice scientist?

The best advice for a novice scientist is to always be curious and open-minded. Science is all about exploring and asking questions, so never stop learning and never be afraid to challenge the status quo.

2. How can I improve my scientific skills as a novice?

The key to improving your scientific skills as a novice is to practice and never give up. Take on new projects and challenges, and seek feedback from more experienced scientists. Also, make sure to stay up-to-date on current research and techniques in your field.

3. What should I do if I make a mistake in my experiments as a novice?

Mistakes are a natural part of the scientific process. As a novice, it's important to learn from your mistakes and use them as opportunities for growth. Don't be afraid to ask for help or advice from your colleagues or mentors.

4. How can I effectively communicate my research as a novice scientist?

Communication is a crucial skill for any scientist. As a novice, it's important to practice presenting your research in a clear, concise, and engaging manner. Seek feedback from others and be open to constructive criticism.

5. How can I balance my scientific work with other commitments as a novice?

Balancing scientific work with other commitments can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a schedule and stick to it, and don't be afraid to delegate tasks or ask for help when needed.