1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Advice for summer geometry course content

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    I'm teaching a junior level geometry course this summer (I'm a math grad student). The title of the course is simply "Topics in Geometry" with no other description in the catalog. I've asked the DUS and he says the content is pretty much left to the individual teacher. But I'm having trouble deciding what to cover.

My text choices are Henle's Modern Geometries or Kay's Geometries, and I'll probably use Greenburg's book as a reference. I've talked to the prof's and grad students who have taught the course in the past couple of years and no one has really done it the same way. The techniques varied from a strict axiomatic approach starting with neutral geometry and working up to hyperbolic and elliptic geometry, to teaching it historically, to a very broad survey course covering things like the complex plane, basic knot theory, and origami, among others.

The class is both an elective for math majors and required from future secondary math teachers.

Any advice from experienced teachers?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted