Will moving after graduation affect my job prospects in teaching?

In summary, the community college student is looking for advice on whether or not to transfer to a nearby university for a teaching career. The student is unsure about what they want to do after high school teaching, but they are still interested in the teaching profession.
awssk8er
Hey everybody, I would just like to say thank you in advance for the help, and I'm new to PF.

I am currently attending a community college with physics as my major. I am two more semesters away from my associate's degree. I am interested in high school teaching, and hoped some people here could help me out.

I plan to transfer to a nearby university. The university has a great teaching program, and has a great reputation for it (Actually, most of my high school teachers attended there for either undergrad or their master's).

My question is, would I have a hard(er) time getting a job if I moved somewhere else immediately after graduating? I live on the east coast of the US, and if I moved out west somewhere would it be a problem if they were unfamiliar with the school? I know this is a problem for certain careers, but was not sure if with teaching how big of a problem it is. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if I had a few years of teaching on my record, but moving after graduation is definitely an option for me right now.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Teaching is a career-type profession; not something you should plan to do just to fill-in time. In reality, some teaching career paths render less than long term positions, so teaching can be somewhat inconsistant.

Do you like baby-sitting, or do you plan to teach at or above the college level?

I do not babysit, but I have am a front-end manager at a large grocery store, so the job can sometimes be similar to babysitting. Well, not babysitting, but keeping high school students in line.

As of right now, the ultimate goal is to become a college professor, but I am still unsure about what I would like to do after high school teaching (If anything at all).

1. What qualifications or degrees do I need to become a teacher?

To become a teacher, you typically need a bachelor's degree in education or in the subject you want to teach. Some states may also require additional certifications or licenses.

2. What level of education can I teach with a teaching degree?

A teaching degree typically qualifies you to teach in elementary, middle, or high school. However, some states may require additional certifications for certain grade levels or subjects.

3. How can I prepare for a teaching career?

You can prepare for a teaching career by gaining experience working with children or teenagers, taking education courses, and observing or assisting in classrooms. It is also important to stay updated on current teaching methods and educational trends.

4. What qualities make a successful teacher?

Successful teachers are patient, organized, adaptable, and have a passion for teaching and helping others learn. They also have strong communication skills, creativity, and the ability to build positive relationships with students.

5. How can I handle difficult students or challenging situations in the classroom?

Handling difficult students or challenging situations in the classroom requires a combination of patience, effective communication, and problem-solving skills. It is important to establish clear rules and consequences, and to seek support from colleagues or administrators when needed.