1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice for teaching career

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    Hey everybody, I would just like to say thank you in advance for the help, and I'm new to PF.

I am currently attending a community college with physics as my major. I am two more semesters away from my associate's degree. I am interested in high school teaching, and hoped some people here could help me out.

I plan to transfer to a nearby university. The university has a great teaching program, and has a great reputation for it (Actually, most of my high school teachers attended there for either undergrad or their master's).

My question is, would I have a hard(er) time getting a job if I moved somewhere else immediately after graduating? I live on the east coast of the US, and if I moved out west somewhere would it be a problem if they were unfamiliar with the school? I know this is a problem for certain careers, but was not sure if with teaching how big of a problem it is. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if I had a few years of teaching on my record, but moving after graduation is definitely an option for me right now.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Teaching is a career-type profession; not something you should plan to do just to fill-in time. In reality, some teaching career paths render less than long term positions, so teaching can be somewhat inconsistant.

Do you like baby-sitting, or do you plan to teach at or above the college level?

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    I do not babysit, but I have am a front-end manager at a large grocery store, so the job can sometimes be similar to babysitting. Well, not babysitting, but keeping high school students in line.

As of right now, the ultimate goal is to become a college professor, but I am still unsure about what I would like to do after high school teaching (If anything at all).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook