How can I prepare for my first year of physics at university?

In summary, the speaker has been accepted into Waterloo's honors physics program and is looking for advice on how to prepare for their first year. They have self-taught themselves differential calculus and are wondering if they should focus on math or physics in preparation. They also mention having access to resources such as books and exams, but they are feeling overwhelmed and looking for guidance. They are seeking advice on how to become a successful physics student and any tips for contests like the Sir Isaac Newton Exam.
OmashRavash
Hey Everybody,

So I made it into Waterloo's honors physics program, which has been a goal and dream of mine for years. It feels great but at the same time, I really want to know how to prepare for the program before the fall and get ahead. I taught myself the essentials of differential calculus (all the basic rules like the power and quotient rules, how to prove those rules, implicit differentiation, related rates) during last summer and I feel like I have time to learn more math independently because my calculus course at the moment is not a challenge (the course I am in focuses on vectors for one half of the semester and derivatives the second).

What I want to know is how can I prepare for my first year of physics? Should I be focusing on the maths or the physics that I learn when I get into university, and what types if so (For instance, integral calculus for math)? A part of me says to focus on the maths because I need the math in order to do the physics, but another part of me says to do physics because one I enjoy it and two, it's what I want to do for a living. Or should I focus my efforts half and half on each? And is there any books/textbooks I should be looking at? I got Epstein's "Thinking Physics" and I borrowed "Schaum's 3000 Problems Solved Problems in Physics" from my physics teacher and so far both books are great.

I have these questions in mind not only because I want to be a successful physics student, but I am having this problem I call stupid, which is I am over indulging myself in a bunch of resources that can help me with university (like those two books I mentioned in the last paragraph and many more). As a result, I lost a bit of interest in math and physics at the moment and it is truly due to the fact that I have no guidance besides this Forum. So, I need to know what I should be focusing on instead of over complicating this process and not make it seem so much like homework.

Along with this, Waterloo has a physics exam (the Sir Isaac Newton Exam) which is aimed towards people like I who are in their physics programs and the rewards are scholarship money. Of course I want to do well in this exams and I really feel the advice I get can help me with this opportunity. If you have any advice towards contests like this, please share.

Anyways, thanks for the advice in advance, it has helped a lot in the past and I look forward to reading your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at our feature threads section Zapperz has written an excellent article on becoming a physicist from high school to phd.

What is the best way to prepare for year one physics?

The best way to prepare for year one physics is to review basic mathematical concepts such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the scientific method and basic physics principles.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and approach problems systematically. Start by identifying the given information and what you are being asked to find, then choose an appropriate equation to solve the problem.

What resources are available for additional help in year one physics?

There are many resources available for additional help in year one physics, including textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and tutoring services. Your professor or teaching assistant may also be able to provide extra support and clarification.

What should I focus on during lectures and in-class activities?

During lectures and in-class activities, it is important to pay attention to the key concepts and understand the reasoning behind them. Take notes, ask questions, and participate in discussions to deepen your understanding of the material.

How can I stay organized and manage my time effectively in year one physics?

To stay organized and manage your time effectively in year one physics, try creating a study schedule and setting aside dedicated time for studying and completing assignments. It may also be helpful to break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks and prioritize your workload.