1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice in Choosing a Project

1. Nov 4, 2005 #1

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We have been studying Classical Mechanics this term (11th grade) and I will have to do some project in it when I go back to school for the second term (perform an experiment, construct an instrument etc.). I would like to do something which is instructive and insightful. If you can suggest something, I would be grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Nov 4, 2005 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks for the link ZapperZ. I've looked through the site, but I need to pay for most of what they offer. The type of thing I need to do is to experimentally verify some principle or calculate some constant (like g) or build some machine which clearly demonstrates something (like atwoods machine or an air trough). I would appreciate it if some one could give me particular examples of possible projects. I dont want things that are just cool to look at.

5. Nov 4, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What about getting a helium filled balloon, tie a string to it, get onto a train, and while holding on the other end of the string, watch it as the train starts to move (accelerate) forward. You'll see something puzzling that you can write about and explain.

Zz.

6. Nov 4, 2005 #5

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hm.. I really cant get onto a train right now. And im not sure where I can buy a helium filled baloon. Mybe ill try it standing on a car if I find a baloon. But just for now, to think about it, can you tell me what ill see?

7. Nov 4, 2005 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nope. You just have to do it yourself.

Zz.

8. Nov 4, 2005 #7

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Would it be ok if I held the baloon and started running? or does it have to be a gradual acceleration to percieve the effect?

9. Nov 4, 2005 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, this will not work.

Zz.

10. Nov 4, 2005 #9
    This experiment would be even better by first using a balloon filled with regular air for comparrison. Nice idea, Zz.

11. Nov 4, 2005 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Or go all the way and fill it with water!

:)

Zz.

12. Nov 6, 2005 #11

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please tell me what ill see, its not easy to get helium baloons where I live. Im guessing that the rope will deviate from the vertical and the baloon will oscillate. is that right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?