Advice needed for EE student

In summary, I think that you should buy "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill and also build some electronics kits.
kidman
I am an electrical engineering student.I need your advice on what should i learn or so in summer to make myself a better electrical engineer and give more credit to my CV like what to learn other than college courses(ex:networking,programming...certifications) and what kind of training should i go for.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What year are you? I'm assuming that you are just entering college next year, or maybe entering your second year? I'd recommend the following two things for your summer:

-- Buy a copy of "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, and read it cover-to-cover. It's a great introduction to electronics, from the basics through opamp circuits and digital electronics. With that background, you will be much more effective as an EE student.

-- Build a couple of electronics kits projects, and throughout your EE education, try to keep building projects on the side. Start with some basic projects, and progress through kits and projects that involve microcontrollers (uCs) and programming them in assembly language and C. If you build a few things on the side, you will have a much more practical approach to your schoolwork. I like to call it "learning to ask the right questions, both of your teachers and of yourself". You can get some good kits at Radio Shack, or at websites like this one:

http://www.transeltech.com/kits/kits1.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to ask the same question and I hoped that berkemen would answer.

Thanks berkemen and any other advice would be appreciated.

After trading a couple of PMs, it occurs to me that I should have mentioned a little more advanced option:

-- Get a microcontroller (uC) development board, and practice coding up some applications on it in C or assembly language. Think up a couple fun projects to do with the uC development board, and maybe include some of the kit projects from my previous post. Like, make a uC-based universal learning IR remote control. Or control a stepper motor with the uC. The PIC uCs from Microchip are good to learn, and the BASIC Stamp and other chips from Parallax are also good learning vehicles.

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=64

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/resources/start/getting_started_main.asp [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the most important skills for an EE student to have?

The most important skills for an EE student to have are strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and good communication skills. It is also important to have a solid foundation in math and physics.

How can an EE student improve their time management?

To improve time management, an EE student should prioritize their tasks and create a schedule or to-do list. They should also eliminate distractions and break down larger projects into smaller, manageable tasks. Utilizing effective study techniques, such as the Pomodoro method, can also help with time management.

What resources are available for an EE student struggling with a certain subject?

There are many resources available for EE students struggling with a certain subject. These include tutoring services, study groups, online forums and communities, and office hours with professors. It is also important to utilize textbooks, lecture notes, and practice problems as study aids.

What are some tips for staying organized and on top of coursework as an EE student?

Scheduling and time management are key for staying organized as an EE student. It is also helpful to create a designated study space and keep all materials and notes organized. Breaking up larger projects into smaller tasks and utilizing checklists can also aid in staying on top of coursework.

How can an EE student balance their coursework with extracurricular activities?

Balancing coursework with extracurricular activities requires effective time management and prioritization. It is important to determine which activities are most important and allocate time accordingly. It may also be helpful to limit the number of extracurricular activities in order to focus on academic responsibilities.