Handling a Criminal Record During Co-Op: Seeking Advice and Solutions

• Thread starter General_Sax
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has a criminal record and is concerned about how it may affect their future in the Co-Op program and licensing as an engineer. They have spoken to their Co-Op director and second year engineering program director about their concerns, but have received a negative response. They are considering transferring to a different program, such as computer science, and are seeking advice and information on how a criminal record may impact their career prospects.
General_Sax
Firstly, I have spoken to both my Co-Op director and the director (chair?) for the second year engineering program.

I have a criminal record. I didn't realize that this would cause such problems in the following areas: finding a Co-Op position (who knew that they would do security checks on Co-Op students) and licensing.

I was under the impression that after I was pardoned no one would care about my record. However, my 2nd year director had a very "negative" vibe about my record, saying that this record -- even if pardoned -- could cause problems with licensing. He even went so far as to suggest that I transfer out of engineering. However, I don't believe that the regulatory organization will have access to my sealed record... but what if I'm wrong? what if they do? What if I study for years only to be told that I can never become a licensed engineer? damn.

Co-Op
----------------

I have a problem getting into Co-Op position because of reasons earlier stated. I've talked to the Co-Op director about transferring out of the program... he will not allow it and will not compromise unless an offer is rescinded because of my record. I've looked into re-sequencing my work and academic terms, and the only thing that will work is if I end up having a years worth of work terms... I don't like this idea AT ALL.

So, I've been considering a transfer to CompSci. I think I will enjoy this program more than Chemical Engineering -- I don't dream of mixing chemicals in vats at night. Who knows? I might be able to get into game/AI design if I play my cards right.

Just looking for general advice and or similar stories... really stressing out here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't make any big decisions based on that director's "negative vibe". I suggest you contact the NCEES (the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying), they may know better how a criminal record would affect licensing.

http://www.ncees.org/Home.php [Broken]

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What should I do if I have a criminal record and want to apply for a co-op position?

If you have a criminal record and want to apply for a co-op position, it is important to be honest with potential employers. Disclose your criminal record on your application or during the interview process. This shows transparency and may give you the opportunity to explain the circumstances of your record.

2. Will having a criminal record automatically disqualify me from getting a co-op position?

Having a criminal record does not automatically disqualify you from getting a co-op position. Many employers are willing to consider candidates with criminal records, especially if they are honest and upfront about it. However, some industries or positions may have strict regulations that prevent them from hiring individuals with certain types of criminal records.

3. Can I get my criminal record expunged or sealed to improve my chances of getting a co-op position?

In some cases, it is possible to get a criminal record expunged or sealed. This means that the record will not be visible to potential employers during a background check. However, the process and eligibility criteria for expungement or sealing vary by state and type of offense. It is best to consult with a lawyer to determine if this is an option for you.

4. How can I address my criminal record during the co-op application process?

If you have a criminal record, it is important to address it in a professional and positive manner during the co-op application process. Be honest and explain the circumstances of your record, including any steps you have taken to improve yourself since then. Emphasize your skills, qualifications, and achievements that make you a strong candidate for the position.

5. What resources are available to help me navigate my criminal record during the co-op process?

There are many resources available to help individuals with criminal records navigate the co-op process. These include career counselors, job readiness programs, and organizations that provide support and resources for individuals with criminal records. Additionally, you can reach out to your co-op program coordinator or career services office for guidance and advice.