Considering A/AS Level Physics as an External Candidate: What You Need To Know

• Thread starter Spaceport
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there are differences between A and AS level physics, with A-level building on AS-level work. Both levels typically include coursework and practical work, and it is possible to take both levels in one year. The format of the exam usually consists of 3 papers in June, but this may vary depending on the examination body administering the A-level.
Spaceport
I took (and failed) JMB A-level Physics back in the 1980s and am interested to take A or AS level Physics again as an external candidate. As things have changed over the years I'd be grateful if you could answer some questions about the course.

1) What are the basic differences between A and AS level?
2) I presume A-level still has compulsary practical work but does AS-level?
3) Is there compulsary coursework? Can this be done as an external candidate?
3) Is it possible to take A or AS-level in one year?
4) What's the format of the exam? Is it still 3 papers in June?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A level physics is administered by several different examination bodies. The answers to your questions will depend on who is administering your A-level. Typically A-level work builds on AS-level work, although may include some completely separate modules.

Having said that I don't know anyone who did an A-level without doing coursework or practical work.

A-levels is divided to AS-level, and A2-level.
AS is the first year and A2 is the second year, and yes depending on your ability you can pull both AS and A2 in 1 year or even 3 months

this should answer half of your questions

What is the best way to study for A/AS level Physics?

The best way to study for A/AS level Physics is to have a solid understanding of the basic concepts and principles. This can be achieved by reading and understanding your textbook, attending lectures and taking thorough notes, practicing problems and equations, and seeking help from your teacher or a tutor if needed.

What topics are covered in A/AS level Physics?

A/AS level Physics covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, thermodynamics, nuclear physics, and particle physics. It also includes practical and experimental work, as well as mathematical skills such as calculus and algebra.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in A/AS level Physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in A/AS level Physics, it is important to practice as many problems as possible. Start with simple problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. Make sure to understand the underlying principles and concepts behind each problem and try to apply them to different scenarios. You can also work with a study group or seek help from your teacher or tutor for additional support.

Is it necessary to have prior knowledge in math for A/AS level Physics?

Prior knowledge in math is essential for A/AS level Physics as it involves complex mathematical calculations and equations. You should have a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus to succeed in A/AS level Physics. If you are struggling with math, it is important to seek help and practice regularly to improve your skills.

What are some helpful resources for studying A/AS level Physics?

Some helpful resources for studying A/AS level Physics include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems and past papers, study guides, and flashcards. It is also beneficial to participate in study groups and seek help from your teacher or a tutor if needed.