1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on books.

1. Jul 19, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I am a Mechanical Engineering student about to take my upper division courses. I do, however, want to go to grad school for physics. I would like for people here to see if the books I have are good enough to self study.

-Physics by Alonso & Finn (I am already done with Intro Phys. but I would still like to go through this book).
    -Math Methods by Boas
    -Classical Mech. by Taylor
    -E&M by Griffiths
    -Stat. Mech & Thermo by Stowe
    -QM by Shankar.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2009 #2
    Those are the standard texts for a physics undergrad although if you've never done QM you might want to start with Griffith's (his QM book). However, if you can get through all those books you'll be fine. Although, that does seem an awfully big undertaking.

4. Jul 19, 2009 #3
    I agree with maverick_starstrider's recommendation of Griffiths' quantum mechanics book. I would also suggest (if you haven't already) trying to fit in an electrodynamics and quantum mechanics course before you graduate, although I know engineering programs can be rather dense near the end.

5. Jul 19, 2009 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you want to go to grad school in physics, you should major in physics.

6. Jul 20, 2009 #5
    Well, sure, if you want to do things the *easy* way...

7. Jul 20, 2009 #6
    If I apply to my university's master's I won't be able to take remedial classes to help me catch up? I guess double major is my only option or switching. Thanks.

8. Jul 20, 2009 #7
    In your graduate work you can take SOME remedial courses but generally, depending on the kind of school, you'll only be take 2-3 classes a term period. Which if you use all those for remedial you won't have room to actually take the graduate classes you need to graduate.

9. Jul 20, 2009 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You want my honest opinion? If you are just starting your upper division classes means that you have two years advance notice. The fact that you are planning to be unprepared in starting your grad school career does not bode well.

Remember, to excel at grad school, first you have to get into grad school. The plan you have chosen does not make you a particularly appealing candidates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook