Advice on College Physics for Math Struggling Students

• Schools
  • Thread starter Tempus35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a degree in physics despite not being naturally gifted in math. They ask for advice on how to succeed in physics without being able to devote 5+ hours a day to studying. The response emphasizes the importance of dedication and hard work in achieving success in any field, and suggests that the speaker may need to adjust their study habits to succeed in more advanced courses. The conversation then briefly shifts to a discussion about the ease of high school math and the value of perseverance.
Tempus35
Hello, I have a question, maybe more then one. I love learning about physics, I read what I can when I can all the time. So when I was looking into degrees, I thought I would look into Physics as a choice. Let me give some background on myself, then ask my question. I never did go high in math when in high school, at that time I had no clue what I wanted. That doesn't mean I did horrible within it, just never went high. When I started college again, I started relearning all the math I had forgotten, I have managed to make it to calculus I and pass it. I didn't get the highest grade, but I passed. My question is this, I know that math is a huge part of Physics, I have always know that, but my question is how well can someone like me that isn't gifted or even naturally talented in math do in something like Physics? One last note, I have read a lot of people talking about studying for 5+ hours a day, I am sadly no where near that devoted, and at most can pull off 2 hours or some, how will this effect me too?

Physics news on Phys.org
To say you are not that devoted is stupid. If you are thinking about going to college and investing in your future, you should be as devoted as you need to be. If you think 14 hours a week is going to do it for you, especially if you are not "gifted", then you should quit now.

However, I was at a point in my life not too long ago where I described myself as not motivated. I did the same thing, probably 2 hours or under in my first year of university, and i got about a 78 average. But when my courses started to advance, I had to adapt study habits. If you don't think you can do this, then maybe you are looking for a manual labour job, or becoming skilled in a trade. There are lots of trades that require physics too.

The bottom line is you get from physics(or anything in life), what you put in. That is why you see the most successful people (generally) passionate about what they do. You seem to have the passion so I don't think that this should be an issue for you. But whatever you do, you are going to need to invest far more than two hours a day. \

on a final note, do what you love, you are going to spend the next 40 years doing it.

You only need 1 year of casual studying to finish grade 9-12 to learn all the math of high school. Highschool math is actually a joke. I went back to actually "try" and study and I'm breezing through all the material. Except for calculus but I'm just frustrated because i don't have the pre requesite to do that course anyway. I just casually study.

kramer733 said:
You only need 1 year of casual studying to finish grade 9-12 to learn all the math of high school. Highschool math is actually a joke. I went back to actually "try" and study and I'm breezing through all the material. Except for calculus but I'm just frustrated because i don't have the pre requesite to do that course anyway. I just casually study.

haha this has nothing to do with your question. Almost seems like you just wanted to tell us how easy high school mathematics are.

smartness is overrated (to a certain degree), and the rest depends on how much you persevere.

1. How can I improve my understanding of math concepts in college physics?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of math concepts in college physics is to practice regularly. This can include completing homework assignments, working through practice problems, and reviewing class notes. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or professor can also be beneficial in clarifying any confusing concepts.

2. What resources are available for math struggling students in college physics?

There are many resources available for math struggling students in college physics. These can include tutoring services, study groups, online resources such as Khan Academy, and office hours with professors. It is important to take advantage of these resources to improve your understanding and performance in the subject.

3. How can I stay motivated while struggling with math in college physics?

Staying motivated while struggling with math in college physics can be challenging, but it is important to remember your end goal and the importance of understanding math concepts in physics. Setting smaller, achievable goals and rewarding yourself for progress can also help with motivation. Additionally, seeking support from friends, family, or classmates can provide encouragement and help keep you accountable.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while balancing math and physics coursework?

Balancing math and physics coursework can be overwhelming, but effective time management can help. It is important to prioritize your tasks and create a schedule that allows for enough time to work on both subjects. Additionally, breaking down larger assignments into smaller, manageable tasks can make them less daunting. It may also be helpful to communicate with your professors about any time constraints and to seek help if needed.

5. Is it possible to succeed in college physics if I struggle with math?

Yes, it is possible to succeed in college physics even if you struggle with math. It may require extra effort and seeking help, but with dedication and practice, you can improve your understanding and performance in math concepts within physics. Remember that everyone learns at their own pace and it is important to not compare yourself to others, but rather focus on your own progress and improvement.