Advice on getting into design?

• Thread starter JP reinvented
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, someone who has a degree in engineering and has taken 3d modeling classes can find a job in the design field.
JP reinvented
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is someone out there that could point me in the right direction as how to get into designing

An ex-navy nuclear machinist mate, I am currently a sophomore/junior enrolled at ODU in Virgina perusing a bachelors in ME and a minor in EE with a GPA of 3.67. I haven't had any senior design classes yet. I also alternate semesters with a co-op at a reliability consulting firm. While the work is interesting and constantly changing, I still have a strong desire to get into designing. My dream is motorcycle engineering, but I think I would enjoy designing almost anything. There doesn't seem to be any real job postings of this type of work(maybe I am wrong). Where should I go?

Physics news on Phys.org
VEC(Virginia employment Commision) website has plenty of engineering positions.

Make sure you take a 3d modeling course during your college years.

Catia or Creo/Pro Engineer is examples of this. Newport News Shipyard is big into Catia. Not sure about Norfolk Naval.

The more classes you take using 3d modeling the better off you will be in the design world.

After you get your degree and nothing pops up in 3 months. Get a machinst job at Newport News shipyard or Norfolk Naval. Once your internal it is easier to get into the engineering/design group. I would even consider whipping up a AAS in Computer Aided Drafting and Design. Both TNCC and TCC community colleges offer these degrees and it would make you more marketable in the Hampton Roads area. You can knock out 90% of it online within a year or two.

I would only do that if your really desperate though. You really would be taking a step back in getting your AAS in CAD after you got your engineering degree. Maybe just take the needed 3d modeling courses.

I feel once you graduate in engineering and you get in one of the shipyards; within a year your in the engineering group.

By the way; welcome to Virginia.

Well thanks for the welcome to virginia, but I have been here for a while now.

And thank you for the VEC, didnt even think about that. One thing is for certain though, and I may be cutting out a lot of potential for my self, but I have no desire to go back to Norfolk or NN shipyards. Nor do I have any desire to work in nuclear power. Ill praise these all day long, but have bad tastes left in my mouth, so to speak, and not looking to go back any time soon.

1. What skills are needed to succeed in design?

To succeed in design, you will need a strong understanding of design principles, such as color theory, typography, and composition. You should also have proficiency in design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite, and be familiar with web design and user experience. Additionally, having strong communication and problem-solving skills will greatly benefit you in the field of design.

2. What is the best way to learn design?

The best way to learn design is through a combination of academic education and hands-on experience. Pursuing a degree in design or a related field can provide you with a strong foundation in design principles and techniques. Additionally, practicing and creating projects on your own, as well as seeking mentorship or internships, can help you gain valuable experience and improve your skills.

3. How can I build a strong portfolio for design?

The key to building a strong portfolio for design is to showcase a variety of your best work. This can include projects from your academic courses, personal projects, and any professional work you have done. Make sure to include a diverse range of design styles and mediums to demonstrate your versatility and skills. It's also important to regularly update and refine your portfolio as you gain more experience and skills.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific degree to work in design?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific degree to work in design. While many designers have a degree in design or a related field, there are no strict educational requirements for the field. What's most important is having a strong portfolio and relevant skills and experience. However, having a degree can provide you with valuable knowledge and credibility in the industry.

5. What are some common challenges in the field of design?

Some common challenges in the field of design include meeting client expectations, managing time and project deadlines, and staying up-to-date with constantly evolving technology and design trends. Collaboration and communication with clients and team members can help address these challenges, as well as continuously learning and adapting to new techniques and tools in the industry.