Advice on going back to school

• Thread starter MTadry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary: Thanks BiP. I have been to Khan Academy's website after seeing a piece about it on 60 Minutes. That was a while ago, and it might be a good spot to start!I actually recommend the other two websites more than KA. But whatever works for you is fine.
MTadry
I am going back to school! I started my post-high school career as a mechanical engineering student. I studied ME for 2 years, did "okay," and got lured away dreaming of a life of adventure. I was already an EMT (emergency medical technician), so I got a full time job on an ambulance, went to school for 2 years and became a paramedic, worked for 6 years full time as a firefighter, got married in the mean-time, realized I hated being a firefighter/paramedic, and became an electrical lineman a year and a half ago. I have finally found something I love doing, both the hands-on aspect and the electrical theory.

I plan on going back to school, part-time on-line, for Electrical Engineering at Arizona State University. I know, it's part-time on-line, but that is all I can do while still working full-time. Their on-campus BSEE program is very well regarded and ABET accredited, and the on-line EE program exactly mimics the on campus program, with the same professors teaching both on campus and online. I have yet to speak with an advisor, don't know all of the details in regards to how labs are accomplished, etc. I don't even know if the on-line program is ABET accredited yet, probably not, but their online MSEE IS ABET accredited and they will accept students into it who have completed the online BSEE. It is reasonably priced, convenient, and my work will pay for it!

Now that my story is over (sort of an introduction as this is my first post) I need some advice as to how to brush up on my math. I always did well in math, even in college, successfully completing up through Calc III. It would be naive of me to think that this would all come back, and I will obviously be restarting math at Calc I. I would love some advice as to how to prepare for Calc I. I would like to start at basic algebra. What books can anyone recommend as a progression to prepare?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks BiP. I have been to Khan Academy's website after seeing a piece about it on 60 Minutes. That was a while ago, and it might be a good spot to start!

I actually recommend the other two websites more than KA. But whatever works for you is fine.

BiP

Congratulations on your decision to go back to school and pursue your passion in electrical engineering! It takes a lot of courage and determination to make a career change, and it sounds like you have found something that truly excites you.

In terms of brushing up on your math skills, I would recommend starting with a review of basic algebra and then moving on to pre-calculus before tackling calculus. This will help you build a strong foundation and ensure that you are prepared for the rigors of calculus. There are many resources available online, such as Khan Academy, that offer free math courses and practice problems.

Additionally, I would recommend reaching out to an academic advisor at Arizona State University to discuss your academic plan and any specific requirements for the online program. They may also be able to provide you with resources or recommend specific textbooks to help you prepare for your coursework.

Lastly, don't be too hard on yourself if you feel a little rusty in math. With determination and hard work, I am confident that you will be able to excel in your studies and achieve your goals. Best of luck to you on your academic journey!

1. How can I balance work and school?

One way to balance work and school is to create a schedule and stick to it. Prioritize your tasks and make sure to set aside dedicated time for studying and completing assignments. You may also consider reducing your work hours or taking online classes to have a more flexible schedule.

2. Is it worth going back to school for a higher degree?

The answer to this question depends on your individual goals and career aspirations. It's important to research the job market and determine if a higher degree is necessary for your desired career path. Additionally, consider the potential salary increase and job opportunities that may come with a higher degree.

3. How can I finance my education?

There are various options for financing your education, such as scholarships, grants, student loans, and employer tuition assistance programs. It's important to research and compare these options to determine the best fit for your financial situation.

4. What steps should I take before enrolling in school?

Before enrolling in school, it's important to research and choose a program that aligns with your goals and interests. You should also consider the time commitment, financial costs, and any prerequisites or requirements for the program. It may also be beneficial to speak with an academic advisor or someone currently in the program to gain more insight.

5. How can I make the most out of my education?

To make the most out of your education, it's important to actively engage in your coursework and participate in extracurricular activities related to your field of study. Build relationships with your professors and classmates, as they can provide valuable insights and connections. Additionally, take advantage of resources such as career services and internships to gain practical experience and prepare for your future career.