Advice on Greate calculus book

In summary, the person is seeking advice on a good calculus book for self-study. They mention using Courant's book but are looking for a solution manual. They also mention considering Spivak's book, but prefer Courant's approach. However, they are having trouble finding a solution manual for Courant's book and are open to suggestions. The person asking for advice is also unsure if they need to solve all the exercises in the book.
SANGHERA.JAS
Advice on Great calculus book

Hi,
I am doing self study in calculus by using courant's differential and Integral calculus. The only problem with this book is that author rarely do solve example. Is there any solution manual avalible for this book online. If not, please suggest me books with similar execises as courant and with a solution manual.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
okay, I was going through some earlier post. Please tell me is it not at all necessary to solve all or even most of exercises of the book.

But spivak has solution manual with it. Should I try it instead of courant. Although I like cournat becoz it known to have written with greater intution and also application to physics, and also courant was assistant to Hilbert!
Does all this make any difference?
Please help me.

There is in fact a solution manual available for caurant namely Albert blank's problems in calculus and analysis. But the only problem with this one is that it is of print for years. I am unable to find any copy of this book on internet. Can anyone of you suggest any link.

I will not ask you to abandon Courant because of the lack of examples. If you NEED examples for simple calculus,
buy a Schuam's outline or go online.

What is the best calculus book for beginners?

The best calculus book for beginners is subjective and depends on individual learning styles. Some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Calculus" by Michael Spivak.

What topics should a good calculus book cover?

A good calculus book should cover topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, and multivariable calculus. It should also include plenty of examples and practice problems.

What is the difference between a calculus textbook and a calculus workbook?

A calculus textbook typically focuses on teaching the concepts and theory behind calculus, while a workbook provides additional practice problems for students to apply their knowledge. Some books may combine both elements.

Are there any online resources that can supplement a calculus textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources such as interactive tutorials, practice problems, and video lectures that can supplement a calculus textbook. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

What are some factors to consider when choosing a calculus book?

Some factors to consider when choosing a calculus book include the difficulty level, the author's teaching style, the book's organization and layout, and the availability of additional resources such as online support or answer keys. It is also important to choose a book that aligns with your learning goals and course requirements.