What can I expect as a physics major in terms of workload and problem solving?

• Programs
  • Thread starter BetaDecay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Just keep practicing and don't give up. In summary, the work in a physics major involves mainly problem solving, with some practice exercises and integration of calculus in later courses. It may be challenging at first, but with practice and understanding of the concepts, it can become easier. Every student's experience may vary and it is important to not get discouraged and keep practicing.
BetaDecay
Hello,

I have had conceptual physics courses with very little math involved and I have had math through my first term of calculus. So far I really like them both. However, I am unsure about what to expect when physics is combined with calculus. Is it mostly problem solving or are there practice exercises too, like in math? I don't mind a lot of work, but I would like to know what the work is like so that I can be sure that I will enjoy it. I have it in my mind that most of the homework is sitting and figuring out problems, but I don't know if that's all or just part of it. Please advise on what I can expect the work to be like as a physics major. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to answer this because I have no idea what school you are at, nor what your curriculum is like. So take what follows with a grain of salt.
However, I am unsure about what to expect when physics is combined with calculus. Is it mostly problem solving or are there practice exercises too, like in math?

It's mainly problem solving. In the calc based physics offered at my school, the only thing we ever did was solve word problems (some straight forward... Some fat and juicy). But this varies from teacher to teacher.

In your first physics class, classical mechanics, you really won't use much calculus. When you get to electricity and magnetism, however, you will do a lot of integrating and will even get exposed to a little bit of vector calculus.

I have it in my mind that most of the homework is sitting and figuring out problems, but I don't know if that's all or just part of it

You have to study the material well to be good at solving the problems, but yes, it's mainly solving word problems.

Thank you

Thank you. Your reply answered my question. I am also in the Northwest (Oregon). It is my plan to do a double major in physics and philosophy. Now I am concerned about the physics part.
Even though I finished with an a+ grade overall, my last calculus class had mathematical modeling problems that were really difficult. My teacher said not to worry and that it is hard for everyone at first and that it just takes practice, but after those hard problems I began to wonder if I am cut out for physics. :cry: The straight forward problems are not bad of course.
If anyone has their experience to share on this, it would be helpful. For example: if it did get easier with practice for them or if it didn't.

For example: if it did get easier with practice for them or if it didn't.

Everything gets easier with practice. :wink:

BetaDecay said:
my last calculus class had mathematical modeling problems that were really difficult. My teacher said not to worry and that it is hard for everyone at first and that it just takes practice, but after those hard problems I began to wonder if I am cut out for physics. :cry:

In my experience the word problems in physics tend to be easier to conceptualize than equivalent word problems in mathematics (basing this on Halliday-Resnick-Walker 7th Ed). In that physics textbook, every single problem is effectively a word problem, but there is minimal mathematical modeling that needs to be done (most of the questions are presented clearly and straightforward).

Mathematical modeling does takes some practice to get used to, but you should do fine in a physics class as long as you can apply the concepts to the problems.

What is the importance of majoring in Physics?

Majoring in Physics is important as it provides a strong foundation in the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. This knowledge can be applied to various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and even finance. Furthermore, a degree in Physics can open up opportunities for advanced studies and research in a wide range of industries.

What skills are necessary for majoring in Physics?

To excel in Physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Physics also requires a strong ability to think abstractly and visualize concepts. Additionally, good communication skills and the ability to work well in teams are beneficial for collaborative projects and research.

What career opportunities are available for Physics majors?

Physics majors have a diverse range of career opportunities in industries such as research and development, engineering, finance, education, and technology. Graduates with a degree in Physics are highly sought after for their analytical and problem-solving skills. They can also pursue advanced degrees in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, and nanotechnology.

What is the difference between a major in Physics and a major in Engineering?

While both majors involve a strong foundation in mathematics and science, the main difference is their approach to problem-solving. Physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the natural world, while engineering applies these principles to design and create practical solutions for real-world problems. Additionally, a Physics major may have a broader range of career opportunities, while an engineering major may have more specific job prospects.

What advice do you have for students considering majoring in Physics?

My advice for students considering a major in Physics would be to have a strong passion for the subject and a willingness to work hard. Physics can be a challenging major, but with dedication and perseverance, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling field of study. It is also important to take advantage of research opportunities, internships, and networking to gain practical experience and explore potential career paths.